1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hose Quality??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

What are your opinions on Boss Hose Quality? I ask because today second time using the plow on about 2 inches of wet snow my left angle cylinder hose bubbled and started leaking. Still had angle but it leaked. Went to the dealer and got another one.
    I didn't hit anything either to cause excess pressure. :confused:

On my old plow the hoses were getting weathered so I made some new aeroquip hoses for it and converted everything to JIC fittings.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Bowtie
    The same thing happened to mine that I just bought last year had maybe 30 hours on it.
    I thought what the @#$% I have a customer that does hydro lines and he told me to bring it to his shop and he would replace it. Well the hose I got from him was way better quality
    than Boss I will change the whole plow out with those hose this spring. My answer to your question about the quality is that it half @$$ :realmad: By the way how is your set up with that truck being a stick in all. I have a F250 6 speed what control are you using?
    My two cents:salute:

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

This summer I'm replacing mine, with goodyear hoses and a stainless steel wrap.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Seem's to be more and more common on the Boss'.I thing they changed hose manufacture's at some point in the past and it wasn't for the better. When I first started finding these little bubble's in the hoses I just attributed it to the fact that maybe they were getting pinched while operating the plow but no amount of rerouting and wire tie's seemed to solve the problem. Some aftermarket Goodyear or Weatherhead hose's are a smart preventative idea on these plow's.

5. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

Boss uses a "one wire" hose as a fuse in case you hit something. If you replace your wing hoses with anything heavier you will lose that fuse. The relief valve that is built into the valve body can only pass oil through it so fast. You will be much better off to replace the hose (with another factory one) than the cylinder. The cylinder WILL bulge if you hit something hard with a so called "better" hose.

6. mole

mole Senior Member

wow I thought it was just me, had the same probem the other night. blow the pump hose plow would not go up had to drive 2miles home with the plow down. then had to wait till 9 am (this happend at 4am) till the boss dealer opened up. what a joke 5hrs down time for a 10min fix. bought all new lines have them in truck now. wouldnt think a new plow would blow lines so quick, only had 3inches of very light snow could have used my leaf blower to get rid of it.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:confused: :rolleyes: :dizzy: No way!!!!

The hose is not a fuse.:nono: It is not meant to blow apart to relive pressure.
    You could replace the hose with steel pipe. lol

Sometimes you will run across a batch of bad hoses. Sometimes they miss crimping the fitting on and sometimes you get blisters.

Get a good hose with a high pis rating and you should not be blowing any hoses for a while.

Also check it see that the hoses are not getting pinched.

You will not BULGE a ram/cylinder using a better quality hose. Like I said you could use steal pipe for a hydraulic line.

I carry a spar lift and wing hose and a gal of fluid just in case.

8. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

Yes there could always be a bad batch of hoses. I was telling a customer who was in to buy a replacement wing cylinder, about the one wire hose theory that Boss had told us about. He said that he had bought the plow used, we went outside and sure enough someone had replaced one of the wing hoses (the side with the bulged cylinder) with a higher psi hose. He said he had hit something real hard. I just think that if he would have had an "oem" or a "one wire" hose he would have been just buying a hose and some oil instead of a cylinder and more oil yet. The wing cylinder hoses are probably the only ones on a v-plow that it would be important to keep "one wire" hoses on. SnoFarmer can put whatever hoses he wants on his plow, I am just relaying info that was told to us by Boss. Just trying to keep someone else from making some of the same mistakes we see happen.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I do not believe you not one bit.:nono:

The mfg will not make a product that will spill hydraulic fluid on the ground by design.

You would spit out the packing/seals first.
    I have to see this ram with a bulge.
    What did they make the ram out of tinfoil?
    You better not step on it then.

I have been running hydraulic equipment all of my life and this the first time a that I've heard that a rubber hose with steal bradding is stronger that a steal ram.

Yes, if you get in to an accident or hit something going fast you may blow a hose.

I still will occasionally blow a hose even using the best hose you can buy.
    They do not last for ever.

Post the bulletin from Boss or post a link to it.

I have hit things so hard I have bent wings and yet no blown hose or a bulge in the ram.

Question for the guys that have blown hose.. What is the psi of the hose? It should say on the hose some where.

Is it is a 2500psi hose? If it is, it should not be blowing/ blistering if it is new it should take a few years to do this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  10. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

Who would go out plowing without a spare hose and fluid anyways? Sure not me.:nono:

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I just replaced a wing hose on my second RT2 yesterday after it started leaking from the fitting.

Both wing hoses have a spiral steel spring wrapped around them, the way its made looks like it would be very hard to get on or off. Half wondering if they are original, possibly original hoses for the plow then (from the mid 90's)? The replacement boss hose didn't have this, and neither does my other RT2. Maybe someone had a pair made like this for it at one point.

12. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

problem

they knowingly had a problem. they replaced all hoses free under warranty. they switched manu. and it back fired. boss was not getting the product they wanted. they in turn have gone back to using parker, which owns aeroquip and basically the whole damn hyd. industry. If anyone has this problem talk to your dealer, it should be covered under warranty. my dealer gave me two hoses and extra fluid when one of mine went out. they wanted to make sure that i was taken care of.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Right, Thats a hydraulic hose, It must have that wire mesh.(braiding)
    Even my original hoses are this way so are all of the replaced ones and every other hydraulic hose I have ever seen.

If the ones that are blowing are only nylon reinforced, then someone fuged up at Boss.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats not what I meant. Mine literally had a spring-wrap hose protector over the OUTSIDE of the hose....

15. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

Boss has had an issue with bubbling hoses and they declared the problem was related to a bad ground. It seems to happen most often on late model Ford super duties (though other vehicles have been reported too) and the plow is attempting to ground through the braiding in the hose which results in the hose bubbling and failing. This season they introduced a second ground post to their motor which is supposed to prevent this from happening. Mind you, all this is from Boss themselves. They couldn't explain to me why it only happened in the past 2 years when they have used the same exact motor for roughly a decade and a half.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure I buy all that. If the pump or manifold was trying to ground through the braid in one of the hoses then that would mean that the pump/manifold wasn't getting a good enough ground through the light tower it's bolted to.That wouldn't explain why the later Super duty's are the most susceptible to the problem.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. humm. thats new.
    Not a Kevlar hose protector?

was it to keep the hose from getting pinched in the lift frame?
    Thats the #4 reason for a hose to fail.

I Question the hose blistering form being used as a ground??
    The hose does not go from plow to truck and there is a lot of steel up front to carry electricity.
    I have seen a lot of hydraulic hoses get a blister and it was not from the braiding being used as a ground.

18. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Well after changing the hose I used the plow another time and what do ya know same side, location it did it again. I went into the dealer and the owner right away had them look at it. The service guy mentioned the ground thing and then talked to boss. They said to change the releif valve. I find it interesting that the hoses are rated for 2500 WP and the releif is rated for 2500. Even though hoses have a safty factor you would think it would be higher than the releif. They kept both hoses and are sending them along with the releif valve to boss. Have used it once since then and no problems yet. We will see, havn't had a chance to make new hoses yet.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

2500 WP- wp is working preshure.

20. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Yup I know that but wp is really the most the hose should see, they do have a safty factor but still. The releif system is set for 2500. You would think the hose would be for a little more than the number of the releif valve.