1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hose pinched in the return spring

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Have any of you V-boys ever done this? I replaced my hoses towards the end of last winter, but have plowed a lot with them since then, but this winter now as I was back-dragging with the plow angled fully to the left, a stick about the size of a baseball bat popped up & smacked the back-side of my plow, and several minutes later I saw I was bleeding fluid all over the ground. I thought,.. "what now?",... but never thought this was even possible! :dizzy: No, the hoses weren't on the wrong side of the springs, but when I replaced it, I noticed it was about 3" longer than all my other ones, old & new!! I guess I must have gotten a hose that was made a little too long, and under the right conditions, it was able to get pinched into the return spring. Wish Murphy would move to someone else's neighborhood! :cry:

Hose pinched in spring (Small).JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Holy Crap!

Mine were getting close to doing that last year but what I did was put a zip tie around the two hoses tieing them together which has kept them far enough away from the springs.

I hope that didnt cause you too much down time!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitly ain't the first time I've seen that happen. I've seen them get pinched between the wing and the center section too.

Hose routing/length is definitely important on the Boss V's to prevent a damaged wing hose.

Some guys slip a large piece of radiator hose over the wing spring and held in place with a wire tie to prevent this very problem.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Those hoses look a bit long to me, it's kinda hard to tell by the pic though.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That can mess things up...

Can"t say that i have ever lost a hose in the springs.

I was warned about making sure the hoses are routed properly or they may get pinched.
    Are you still using the hose keepers that bolt to the cover?

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hose me

they call for hyd7042 3/8x 42" hose on the website but we have had better luck with hyd1810 3/8x 34" on the vee plow's .they came out with several length hose's for a time .check your clearance in vee and scoop ,and tie the hoses behind the center section down low with several large wire ties to limit the spread .

7. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I didn't know that Boss made different length hoses for the angle rams, but I have them tied off now too. I only had the one that was longer than all the rest, so I'm sure that the dealer didn't realize he was selling me a longer hose either. I wrap my hoses now in a chunk of split garden hose where they can rub on the center section, since that is what was happening. I believe that I had disconnected the hose on both ends in the photo above in order to get it out. I still think that this is a rather unusual thing to happen,... and normally it won't, but was just curious if it had happened to anyone else,.... :rolleyes:

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Zip tied where they meet behind the center ? I did that to mine before i even used it, just seemed like there were to many places for the hoses to caught up in something...

9. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Old garden hose is good and if you can mount them low. Meaning lower then the blade so you don't get freezing during drives between sites. The hoses dont need to be long in a vee plow. They should have shorten them cause there isn't any movement to dictate having long hose.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They need to be when the blade trips forward. I see this quite often. Guys will use short hoses not giving any thought they need the extra length when the blade trips, thus ripping their new hoses right off at the manifold. Breaks the fittings off the manifold sometimes too.

11. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I use a small bungy cord to keep mine pulled back from the springs, Thumbs Up

12. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

When I help my dealer do installs zip tieing the hoses is a standard.

13. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

That part I forgot. When the plow trips. What about putting a half twist? so the hose can recoil during vee mode but still have hose to be in scoop?

14. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

I'll get some pictures as soon as I can of our setup. Use the ties and you won't have a problem ever. I'm working on a modification that will reduce wear almost completely other than age and time. When I get time to work on the mod I will post those pictures as well.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It shortens hose life as they twist further as the wings move.

A single selectively placed wire tie is all that's needed to protect the hoses. There's no need to get fancy. :D