1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hose okay?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I noticed this past weekend while looking over my plow that one of the angle hoses was "worn" on one part of it, looks like where it was rubbing against something. My questions are: are Fisher hoses reinforced with steel "mesh"? I can't see any steel "mesh" on teh "worn" area, so I'd assume the hose is okay? Also- anyone know the capacity of the fluid system on the plow?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you are planning on getting new hoses, why not just replace all of them, and keep the two remaining good ones as backups and have all new hoses and the peace of mind of having them done!

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I dunno- the other 2 are really in perfect condition- I think this one is okay too, as I can't see any metal in the "wear" spot, I'll have to see. How much fluid will I lose replacing the one hose if the plow has sat for about a month?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Replace hose, go through plow motions, check level, fill...let sit overnight, check again, fill as needed......simple!

Don't just replace the hose, figure out why the rubbing happened!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be more worried how much you'll lose in the middle of a snow standing there changing it. When in doubt change it ,while it's warm out.

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You'll spend $10 for a hose or two, and you'll know it's perfect. Plus, as Mike mentioned, you'll have one behind the seat when you blow one in a couple years. Also keep a quart of the fluid with you for that very reason.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many of the newer hydraulic hose doesn't have any steel braiding in it...it's mostly a synthetic material now. If the wear spot is deeper than the thickness of a dime, don't hesitate..just replace it.You'll be glad you did later.:nod: