1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hose coupler

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Evilchuckster, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Evilchuckster

Evilchuckster Junior Member

I just bought and installed an old meyer plow with electric pump mounted under hood I am having a real hard time pluging the hose couplers to the hose on the angling rams as much as I try they wont lock together is there a trick to this any help appreciated

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Press the male end of the coupler against a hard object. This will press the ball in an relieve the fluid pressure that's built up in the hoses. Be forward it's a little messy.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you need a spade terminal tap for the hot wire on the solenoid. it lets you unplug the solenoid and run the valves, letting all pressure go back to tank.

4. Evilchuckster

thanks for the advice but could you explain that for someone who doesnt have a clue what you mean

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it sounds tricky, but very simple. the white small wire on the plow solenoid can be made a quick disconnect. unplug the wire, push the switch to angle the plow, the valves in the power unit will open but the motor wont run, thus relieving all pressure in all of the lines.

the spade terminal tap is an electrical part but should be easy to get. they cost about $ .04
    call me if you have questions or cant find a terminal. 1 616 530 6000

6. Evilchuckster

thanks guys got the hoses coupled and moved the plow up and down and left and right a few times then checked the fluid and it was pink doesnt that mean there is water in there, whats the easiest way to address that

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

As far as I know Meyers plows are supposed to use Meyers Blue Fluid. That's not to say that some guys don't get away with putting Trans fluid it them cause it cheaper. Meyers says blue fluid has a chemical that gets rid of water and maybe other lubing things. Meyers blue fluid is expensive but there is a aftermarket blue fluid that I use and it works fine. You can always add a little dry gas for the future, but most important is to fix the leak. Too much dry gas and it may mess with your seals.

So there is a good posibilty that you have water in it. Before you change it, make sure you find and repair the leak. If fluid can seep out, water can get in. It may be just blowing a few small bubbles but it will let water in. Some times the angle rams are pitted and will let water in. That happened to me last year. After you fix the leak, do a complete Flush before adding fluid.

Good Luck

8. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

So true above.

When I was working on mine, one of the hoses had pressure I figured. So being the bright person I am I took a 3lb hammer and just tapped the ball on the male end, needless to say I had a face full of hydraulic fluid all over my glasses :laughing:.

So when it came time to relieve the pressure next time I used channel lock pliers. Worked perfect and new to hold away from face this time :blush2:.