1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hose Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Wrecker, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

I have a cable operated Western. The fitting that the quick release screws into on the pump for the angle cylinder hose broke off. I had this happen on another unit years ago. The only way I could get the piece of the broken fitting out of the unit was to cut off a easy out ( Needs to be short) and use it to back the piece out. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I would think if this has happened to me twice, it's happened to other folks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really want to cut up another easyout.
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Other then welding a nub onto the end of the broken fitting so you can grab it with a pair of Vice Grips or a pipe wrench, an ez-out or the tapered handle end of a file are about it.
    If you remove the hose and fitting during your yearly service of the system and apply thread sealer on the fitting then the broken piece shouldn't be too hard to remove.
    :rolleyes: John...
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I played surgeon on mine when that happens...LOL.. I use a small Punch or chisel and tap on the insert trying to unscrew it just enough to grab it with some pliers, or some times I've hammered a screwdriver in and turned it out.
    What did you do with the old cut off easy out? Never throw a way a custom tool!!!:D So, you might have to cut off another or get a Bigger one that fits and keep it with your plow gear.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005