1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horst Snow Wing....FEL or direct mount to tractor?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OrganicsL&L, May 10, 2012.

1. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Hi guys,

Already scoping out next year's work, and am considering a tractor with an HLA wing. Wondering which mount is better. I like the idea of stacking with the FEL, just not sure how well it will hold up....most of the places it will be on don't have much curbing, but there is some....Also, in general, what would the production rate be with a Horst 4200 snow wing say 8-13 footer.

Hope you all have been paid up for last winter! LOL

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have both, the latest is a Case Puma 145 CVT with loader, love the CVT.
    My other 2 are Maxxum 120s suspended front axle and direct mounts.
    All my snow wings are 4200 series, the 915 is on the loader and a 1016, & 1218 on the Horst mounts.
    Tractor FELs aren't wheel loaders and can be damaged especially when pushing a heavy blade, that's why the smaller blade stays on the FEL, even though the tractor will carry the 10' & 12 footers with no problem.
    The tractors with the direct mount will out push the loader tractor, mainly becuase of the way the push load is transfered to the tractor, also the direct mounts are much easlier to control if your pushing across unfrozen dirt. The Horst mounts do allow quite a bit of lift height, and you can stack pretty high.
    If you are going with the horst mounts equipe the tractor with 4 rear remotes, make sure the dealer installs hose wrap on each individual hose to protect the hoses all the way from the horizontal push frame up thru the front frame, there are 8 hoses, plus the cross connecting hoses on the lift cylinders and blade ride control accumulator. These hoses will rub, and it's a PITA to change out a hose in the middle of a storm.
    You will be happy with the blade's performance.

Bill

3. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Can the blade be run with electric over hydraulic solenoid valves? If so it would prob be cheaper than specing a tractor with 4 remotes or if your buying a used tractor, 4 remotes is pretty rare. also you would be able to run it with nice little togle switches or a small joystick instead of the remote levers. We do this with a lot of our farm equipment.

4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We have had both and the direct mount to tractor is definately stronger. Yes you can stack higher with the blade mounted to the loader but the arms on a loader tractor are easily bent.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A loader valve, joystick and 2 valves on your tractor is a lot better option then the electric valve. Operators have a harder time keeping the a snowing level on a FEL. A direct mount blade is way nicer to run and you will have a lot less issues. If you really want to stack the FEL is your only option though. Basically any operator can run a Snowing on a direct mount but it takes a more skilled operator to run it on a FEL. If you have different people driving it I'd go direct mount.