1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horse tracks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by No Moolah, Jan 11, 2011.

1. No Moolah

No Moolah Junior Member

How do horse tracks remove snow and maintain their surfaces during the winter to keep them open and operational? I'm writing a paper for school about the effects of winter on the economy.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

It depends entirely on the location and the weather and whether they have (*&^*(& ground or not. The large farm tractor is employed to smooth the ground with disc harrows, Brillin Iron works cultipackers and The Northwest Rototiller in one example.

They wont use salt on the tracks if thats what your asking.
  3. No Moolah

No Moolah Junior Member

Thanks for the response Leon. What is "(*&^*(& ground or not" ? Do they use a special mixture of different ingredients to cover the tracks in the northeast so the snow melts faster? Friends and I were at a pub and they had off-track betting, it was snowing like crazy at the track, and the track seemed to clear right up after it stopped.
  4. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Sometimes Calcium Chloride Flakes are spread. It acts as a dust control in the summer, and an ice preventer in the winter.Plus its safe for the animals.
  5. LON

LON Senior Member

Yes. The Meadows racetrack runs year round. A truck we built is still maintaining the track 20+ years later. http://www.meadowsgaming.com/racetrack/
    This track is in the south western corner of PA.
  6. leon

leon Senior Member

horse of course

9(*&^&* means poor ground, clay, rocks, etc. politely.
  7. No Moolah

No Moolah Junior Member

Thank you for your responses. This site is a wealth of information and knowledge and has been very helpful in completing my project.