1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horse Farm Owner Needs Help

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by furstwinhall, Feb 1, 2009.

1. furstwinhall

furstwinhall Junior Member
    from vermont

New to the forum... thanks for having me.

My wife and I own a 40 acre horse farm in Vermont. We have about 2 large lots, another smaller one, and numerous driveways and paths that all need to be plowed all winter. I currently use our 50hp tractor with a plow blade to keep it all clear, but the time it takes with a tractor is beginning to take its toll on me. I am thinking that it is time to invest in a used truck and plow instead. We get A LOT of snow (right at the base of a ski area), and I am wondering if you all have any recommendations as to what might be my best set-up?

I have looked around a bit and found a '93 f-350 diesel dually dump body with 8' fisher minute mount plow, but I am worried that it may be too wide. Also, the idea of purchasing 6 snow tires sounds interesting too :mad: Would an f-250 or gmc 2500 SRW be a better option? Would a v-plow also be a good idea considering the amount of snow we get? Thanks for any help. BTW, we would also use the truck around the farm in the summer to haul hay, stones, whatever.
  2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If you don't think a dump would help around the farm then look for a srw 1-ton. A v-plow would probably work very well for you, as they are much better and easier on the truck when you cut a path through deep snow. Sounds to me like the Ford dump would work fine, but it's ultimately up to you to decide what will best fit your needs and budget.
  3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Welcome, Your going to probably want to start w/ at least a 3/4 ton truck. the size of the truck and front axle rating will determine the maximum size of the plow that you can use. A lot of great plows to choose from, but w/ the snow your used to dealing w/...I would suggest probably looking into a V plow, especially if you will be cutting through big drifts and significant accumulations. I would start by seeing what dealers are in your area. Consider service, price, and overall reputation, hours open, etc. Also try and talk to some local plowers, pic their brains on who and what they recommend as well. You probably have enough dealers in your area, but not all are created equal when considering your buying criteria. good luck!!!
  4. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Since it sounds like you're looking for an older truck/plow I'd go with whatever 3/4 or 1 ton pickup you can find that's in the best shape for the amount of money you want to spend. Buying a truck with a plow on already is probably your cheapest option.
    An 8' foot plow is normal for 3/4 - 1 ton trucks, range would be 7.5 to 9.
    If you have use for the dump I'd say go for it but it sounds like you'd prefer something smaller. Rear visibility is better with a pickup. If you aren't going to put many miles on it a gas engine would likely be cheaper than a diesel.
    Since you can use your tractor for the rest of this year you may want to wait until spring/summer to buy. You'll get a better deal on a plow truck in the off season and with the current economy there may be some real good deals with people needing money.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Get an older Dodge 1 ton with a Cummins. Cummins always starts, and gets you good mpg's. Not to mention lasts forever
  6. furstwinhall

from vermont

Thanks for the responses folks :) I spoke with a guy around here though that said to me that he thinks that a tractor is a better option than a truck!? My tractor is a new holland tc45, and I think that it is just too light and too slow to get the job done adequately. Do you guys think that a truck is a better option?
  7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Have you considered a blower for the NewHolland?
  8. furstwinhall

from vermont

Yes, a blower would be a great addition to the fleet:) I am still concerned though that the blower may be slow, but it would be great for the paths and high drifts. We got about 18" of snow last week, and I spent about 14 hours total plowing and bucketing to get our place cleaned up, so I was hoping that a truck would be considerably faster, no?
  9. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

When the going gets tough this is what I use!:D

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusic:)I had a TC45 NH Tractor with cab hydrostatic tranny and 6 foot blower on the back. Excellent for snowblowing . It was also 4 wheel drive. If its that combination you will have no problem keeping your roads etc cleared. Forget the plow truck use a snowblower on the back of the tractor and send the snow away by "airmailing " it:gunsfiring:
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Since it is a farm I would go with the dump myself. Not knowing your particulars if you think it is to big then it probably is.

Find yourself a nice older K2500 GMC with a 350 motor is my suggestion.
  12. leon

leon Senior Member

horse farm

The Pronovost PXPL-50 snowblower is what you should buy as they are very well built and will handle the snow as they are built for canadian winters.

the PXPL-50 with the hydraulic scraper blade and hydraulic chute will allow you to clean up quickly and easily with out shoveling and remove snow that is close to buildings and doors and vehicles with out shoveling.

They have a dealer network in the USA as well.

Here is the link to the Pronovost web site.

The web site has a nice video showing the PXPL snow blower at work doing all the different jobs it does.

When I visited the empire farm day last August I looked at thier equipment line and the PXPL snow blowers and they are built tough for the canadian winters.

Its a situation where you can buy a good toolmonce and never have to buy another one.
    A rear mounted snow blower will cost you less to own and buy than a plow truck.

13. augerandblade

:cool:tymusic:nod:I with leon on this one, forget the trucks and ATVs they are just 'toys ' when the going gets tough
  14. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

do you have a skid steer? if so try getting a used plow for that they are very versitile machines,but if you want a truck a chevy 2500 with a straight blade would be good i dont think you need a v-plow though. Good Luck!

Chevy avalanche 1500 w/western midweight poly 7'6''
    bobcat 753 w/steer plow 7'
  15. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

You have a 40 acre farm & don't have a truck of any kind?! Not even a 1/2 ton you could throw a plow on? Anyhow I use a Kubota w/ a 6' RAD snowblower, works really well & snowblower/tractor will outlast any truck-plow combo. Look for a used 6' 3 pt. blower, they are out there. BTW unless you are just a flatlander hobby farmer you are going to need a pickup truck sooner or later!
  16. leon

leon Senior Member

Adding to what said earlier I the snowblower will be more effective due to its ability

get rid of snow simply due to its power and throwng distance and you will be able to

get in and out of areas where the truck will have trouble especially when visibility is low at

night or during heavy snows.

You already own a tractor and buying a snowblower like a Pronovost PXPL-50 will last you

for a lifetime versus a used truck with a plow.

Your tractor and snow blower will be easier to maintain as well and unless you you want

to run the tractor on the road youu will not have to register it and have road insurance

either. There is less to go wrong with a good diesel tractor as well.

The pronovost company also sells a line of farm trailers that would be a good fit for you as

they have models that dump on either side and the end dump and are high floatation as

The pronovost PXPL blower will drag snow easier due to the scraper blade with little effort

and work as it will drag snow away to pile it someplace else to get it out of the way and

then you can blow it away to get rid of it.

Your using your treactor to haul and spread manure, groom riding paddocks, move

bedding and hay and mow and what ever else you need to do. adding one more

attachment will only increase the value of your tractor as it is doing one more job and

doing it for less work and money as an old truck will eventually need welding,a new gas

tank, new brakes and many other things that a tactor and snow blower will never need.

money as the tractor is doing the job
  17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

50 hp tractor is not big enough, you need a bigger one.
    I would invest in a bigger tractor for the farm before throwing money
    at any truck. JMO
  18. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Also on the subject of the truck option. The 8' plow on a 6 wheel dump or dually pick up is a bit thin when angled. You're outer tires will be in the unplowed snow. I'd say minimum 8.5 foot plow. Preferably 9'.

In your situation you already got the dozer on the tractor. So you've got a machine for pile moving. I'd say 1/2 ton pickup with 7.5' plow is a-ok.
  19. augerandblade

50 Horsepower is definitely enuf for this application. :nod: And if the tractor is hydrostatic even more than enuf. :nod: I owned a TC45 with snowblower. :nod: Traded it in and now am running a Case Int DX40 hydrostatic. Plenty of power.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gunsfiring:
  20. smiley39

smiley39 Junior Member