1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horrible boss install

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by matzke3, Dec 10, 2012.

1. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I just did a boss install on a chevy truck that I built/modified/restored from the frame up. Body is an 85 frame 86. I have never had an install so difficult due to design.

First-The mount wount not go low enough, I had to have the push frame extended. The truck has 245/75/16 wheels, 1 ton springs, and a dana 44.

Second- The headlight adaptors have to be repinned out of the box for the older lighting system. So we have to rework brand new 60 dollar connectors?

Third- One of the frame brackets had the nut welded on so far off I had to grind out the hole to get a bolt in it,

Finally- Hardware count and quantity was not right.

600 for the mount and 60 for the adaptors and both had to be reworked doesnt seem right. Sure we can blame the near 30 year old frame. However my business partner did an install on an 87 chevy and also had to drop the push frame and repin.

Thus far neither of us has been able to get the dual burn to work properly. Anyone know if anything can be done there?

Sunday was our first event and the hassle of the install was still worth it. Boss just has the best v plow ever. The truck built with love and used parts also fared well Thumbs Up

I dont mean to rant but I would really like some explanation from a boss rep if they read this.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Probably the best thing you can do is call boss directly. The dual burn kit should be fairly straight forward. I know certain years and model trucks need both reds hooked to the positive battery post and the brown or black (forget what color it actually is) to the ground. And others the dual burn wire goes to the ground post on the battery.
  3. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

def call boss directly or even email them they are more than willing to make things right they have answered every question i have had if noone else on here could answer it
  4. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I guess I'll have to call them then. I kind of immediately wrote off calling in complaints since im sure little time went into designing mounts for that age of truck, and I was equally sure they would look into any complaints even less so.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Well we installed a new boss at my job this year and he is a real a**&%$# oh wait....
  6. Malibu496

Malibu496 Junior Member

What is the dual burn? I am going to be installing a 8 1/2 foot boss on my 76 k20 within the next couple weeks so I am guessing I am going to run into the same issues.
  7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

2 headlights on = low beams

4 headlights on = high beams aka dual burn runs low and highs like old gm truck 4 headlight system