1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horizontal hinge pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SnoFarmer, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm going to replace the horizontal hinge pin on my Boss V-plow today.
    I know it's bent and worn.
    pics at 10...... lol.:waving:

2. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Well. after a few swings of the sleghammer is just popted right out... lol

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  3. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Here it is all of the way out.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

one more .

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

:eek: What in gods name were you doing with that plow! lol

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, After 8yrs of hard comershal (curb;) ) plowing I thought it might need some attention...

I have yet to find a good way to get any greese to this pin....
    I know greese would have not stoped the pin from bending.

But it looks a little to dry....:dizzy:

any ideas it's an RTII.:confused:

7. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

vee pin lube

While the hinge pin is out I would clean out the lube holes in the wings.I dont like the idea of having open holes in the front of the plow, but have yet to put zerk fittings in any either. Perhaps tapping the holes for zerks and plugging them for plowing is the best compromise ?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just to let you know, that's the horizontal hinge pin that connect's the center section to the A frame,not the center hinge pin that the wings pivot on. SnoFarmer as an "experiment" on a buddy's 9.2 V, I took a new pin to a local machine shop and had it gun drilled with an 1/8 in hole halfway through the pin and an intersecting hole out the side near the center and then installed a grease fitting in the end.I was concerned that the hole through the middle might weaken the pin a little so the guy at the machine shop hardened the pin for me too. That was 5 years ago and it's still in there although I need to pull it back out and check it to see if it's bent any.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Now if that doesn't look familiar?

Been there, done that on all mine. We had to drill out the hole on the plow and put a larger diameter pin in because ours became elongated and would bend that pin in just a couple plowings.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Vertical hinge pin, for the wings,
    The zerks will be torn off by the ice and snow, thats why there are not installed.
    You should have a small fitting for your grease gun and be greasing your plow after each use. http://http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=23456

Both good ideas, I may have to try them next time i change the pin out.

B&B, I'm not sure I have the clearance for a zerk on the end of the pin. I have an RTII and the back of the wing almost touches the pin with the wings all of the way back.

Can you get a pic?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I know what you mean about the clearance being pretty tight between the wings and the horizontal pin. Because of the tight space I couldn't use a normal grease zerk,instead I used one of those counter sunk type's that you have to use a needle adapter on like some U joints and CV joints use.You also need to make sure that the pin can't walk side to side. By adding a couple of shim's if needed behind the cottor pin you can remove any play in the pin so it can't walk out and allow the zerk to contact the wing.Like I said in my first post I want to remove the pin again and see how it's holding up. I dont expect it to have much if any wear on it, I just want to see if it's bent at all. BTW this was on an RTII setup just like yours.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007