1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Horizontal Hinge Pin working its way out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Got another problem. The horizontal hinge pin, not vertical, keeps working its way out. When I bought the plow used, the roll pin on one side was broke off on flush with the hinge pin. The other side is still intact but is bent. I wanted to replace both roll pins but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The area is so tight that I can't get a punch and hammer in there to drive out the broken roll pin. Plus the orientation of the hole is not ideal for getting a punch on it.

Anyway, the hinge pin keep making it's way out and actually gets to the point where it starts denting part of the back of the blade. I temporarily put a long cotter pin through it but it just broke it off. Is there something out of whack that is causing it to break roll pins and cotter pins? The wings do retract rather quickly, almost violently. Should there be something that adjusts how fast the wings retract or some kind of stop?

Also is it just a roll pin on both sides that keeps the hinge pin from coming out or is there supposed to be washers to take up the extra space between the plow and the roll pin?

I've got to get this fixed before I wear something out and I'm tired of having to drive the hinge pin back all the time.

2. CompleteCare

CompleteCare Member

Had the same problem last year. The new style looses the pin and actually has a nut on the end of it. I think I paid like $65 for a new one. Unbolt the angle cylinders and tap out the pin with a mini sledge. Just be careful when you are guiding the new one through that you don"t jack up the threads.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the pin out and make sure its not bent and the holes in both the pus frame and center tower are not worn severely. If it all looks goos slip a large flat washer on each side of the pin and weld them in place. Guys have been fixing them that way for years.

Or you can update to the newer threaded pin. Boss p/n: MSC09649

The Boss's are well known for their speed...but if you feel the wings retract too fast then the wing springs may be set too tight. You need very little spring tension to retract them. Any more than that and they just get faster and more violent on return.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmo

I like that idea of using a threaded one. How do you go about taking the hinge pin out without the plow becoming misalinged with the mount when you go to put the new hinge pin in? Keep the mount on or off the truck? V or Scoop? Reason I'm asking is because I was going to just drive the pin out far enough too get at the roll pins, but it wanted to bind the further out the pin got. I stopped because I was afraid I'd never get it alinged again to put the pin back through. Thanks for the help so far!

5. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks Again B&B for all your patience and help. I bet that the springs are too tight. That might not be helping my smart lock issue either. It was more apparent when I contacted bare cement. So, I'd want to back the nut off so the spring wasn't stretched? or the opposite?

I like the idea of the threaded pin. Although welding the washer wouldn't be a bad idea either except if I need to take the pin back out for whatever reason. Thanks for the p/n too. Like I asked the member above, any tips or tricks to keeping everything aligned when I take the pin out?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Change it with the plow attached to the truck and in the scoop position, it's the most stable that way. Plus the center tower and wing assembly will support itself while in scoop, making it easier as well.

You do have to loosen all the tension on the trip springs in order to change the pin.

They'll practically fall out then.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep back the nuts off some on the wing spring eye bolts. You only need enough so that the wings will return, any more than that your just shortening the life of the spring and speeding up the return.

In that case you'd just torch the washer off and replace the entire pin the next time. They're cheap anyway. but either way is fine.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Geeze talk about doing things the hard way. NO WONDER I was having a heck of a time when I tried to drive the pin out just a little bit. :realmad:

Thanks again B&B. I'll let you know how it goes, or lack there of. ;)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep trying to remove the pin without relieving the trip tension is definitely the hard way..actually its virtually impossible. :D

Keep us posted. :waving:

10. MJLsLawnCareNmo

I don't know where you guys learned all this or even where to find this information at to begin with. I use the search feature everytime and find limited or no info. Maybe I just have unique requests I guess. I dont know how some of this stuff hasnt come up before. You guys must just shake your head at me sometimes. At least someone else might be able to learn from it in the future too. Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your questions are not at all unique by any means and have been covered here before. Its mostly in the keywords you use if you do a search here, as far as what may or may not come up. Try "horizontal hinge pin" as an example. I know a few will pop up. :waving:

12. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I've been welding washers on since the 1st year we started runnin 'em. (8 years?) I'll tack 'em on with 1/2" long welds, 2 on each washer. good'n'strong, but relatively easy to torch out, should you hafta take 'em back apart for some reason.
    I do not like the threaded versions! the chuckleheads runnin the plows I fix, bang the hell out of 'em, and end up breakin the nut and stud off:realmad: and once they break, there is no room left, to weld a washer on.:rolleyes:

I gotta figure out how to post pics...I designed a "bumpstop" that keeps the wing and center section from having any metal/metal contact. (also helps minimize damage that comes from hitting something with the outside edge, when the blade is folded back)

13. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Well I got the new hinge pin (threaded one) installed today wesport It took me a while to do it (about 40 minutes) to finally get the pin to slide through. I just about had the trip springs off, and it took a lot of jerking on the plow wings, a floor jack, raising and lowing with the controller, and a long piece of pipe to act as a prybar to get the holes lined up just right. It would always be close, but the next obsticle about an inch in would be just a hair in the way. What finally did the trick was using the long piece of pipe to pry from the inside the hinge pin hole on the opposite side I was trying to install the pin, while reaching over the plow and tapping the pin in on the other side with a small hammer. There's a visual for you. :jester:

At least it's done. I was starting to panic because I could get it lined up and there WAS a chance of snow tonight. To top it off I added a little fluid to the plow the other night when I was out plowing because I checked the fluid level in the elbow and didn't see any. It was the first night out since I had done a fluid chang, so I figured I might have worked some air out of the system and it dropped a little. Well it puked a little fluid out in the parking lot and then more on the garage floor after I replaced the pin. I guess the level was probably ok and after jerking on the wings trying to get the pin installed I must have added a little air to the system.

Is it normal to not see fluid in the elbow when it's at max capacity (before it pukes some out)?

Thanks to everyone for all your help! :salute:

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what position you had the plow in. You should JUST be able to see it with the light tower pinned to the truck and the wings all the way back. And yes they will puke a little out until they find their level after disturbing the system. Thats pretty normal and no reason for worry.

Good to hear you got the pin changed. Funny how a chance of snow will put a rush on things. :D

15. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Wow I wish I had read that before I bought and installed the new threaded pin. I try to avoid going all the way back in the V position unless I'm transporting, but it still happens from time to time, mainly cause the wings move so fast. And yes it is very loud and violent. It actually bothers me quite a bit.

You have got to post some pictures of that bump stop setup you have!!!! Let me know if you do! I would love to do something for that exact reason. I would probably come up with something if I had an idea of what actually stops the wings/where they hit.

Thanks for the reply.

Anybody know what exactly causes the wings to stop folding back when you retract them? Where and what does it contact?

16. MJLsLawnCareNmo

You're not kidding. I'm thinking to myself, who can I call? Can they make it today? I can't even move the plow now if I had to. I couldnt take the plow in to have it fixed if I wanted to. I HAVE CUSTOMERS!!!! Maybe I can post some pics and someone can advise me how to get the holes lined up. I almost lost it. :p

But good to know about the fluid level. Maybe I'm wrong but if you have the wings folded back I dont think I could see the plug. And even if I could I'm not so sure I could get the plug out because if I take the plug out prior to folding the wings back, fluid would come out I think. Maybe that's why you said "JUST" be able to see it ;)

Thanks again B&B for your help and your quickness on replying to my threads.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll still have full access to the fill/check plug with the wings back. :waving:

And happy to help. :drinkup:

18. standenc

standenc Junior Member

I had the same problem horizontal pin coming out i had a pin made up with a 1/4 inch thick washer welded to one side with 3/8 hole drilled and tapped on the other with a 1/4" thick washer with 3/8 bolt holding that side together works great if you need to take it apart just on bolt drive pin out.

19. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I have replaced the pin twice, once because it was bent and the secound time because I didn't weld it together. Welding the nut on the pin will do the trick. Fill the fluid up with all the cylinders retracted.

20. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I just replaced the pin on my 10', after the first storm the stud broke off. I had to weld it to the center section. Hated to do it....but it needed to be fixed.