1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hopper trap door Solinoid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Diesel_brad, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Hey guys. I am looking to remotely operate the trap door on my homemade spreader. RIght no I have to get in/out of the truck anytime I want to start/stop the spreader to open/close the door.

I was looking at some diesel injector pump fuel shut off solenoids but worried how long they would last with the salt.

Anyone have any suggestions for one off of a production spreader that is easily adaptable?

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

An air cylinder. Get a portable air tank or a small bottle of nitrogen to run it.

3. Diesel_brad

I already have electric there. Why would I complicate things by putting an air cal there?

4. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Pics of your setup would help. Try Surplus Center for a linear actuator maybe?

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

You are worried about salt and a solenoid right?

You have to move something up and down or back and forth remotely correct?

You could run some type of cable linkage - cheap but probably unreliable
    You could run an air setup - a bit more expensive but works like a charm
    You could run a linear actuator - even more expensive and you are worried about salt and electronics
    You could run some hydro set up - way more expensive unless it's already there, but works like a charm

The use of air/hydro to move things is so much in use, it's proven tech even in harsh enviroments. Since you probably don't have a compressor on your truck, Nitrogen as a compressed air substitute is used at every race track in the world - I'd worry about moisture in an air tank.

Running air line is virtually the same as running wire, probably costs less other than the fittings...........

6. Diesel_brad

I'll try to get some pics.

it is just a guillotine type door