1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hopper spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rs services, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rs services

rs services Junior Member

i AM LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM A TAILGATE SPREADER TO HOPPER STYLE LOOKING FOR SOME GUIDANCE. I NEED TO SPREAD SALT AND ANTI SKID THERE ARE SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM ANY HELP WOULD BE GOOD

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Why are you SCREAMING?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, what do you have for a truck/bed size? Next, what brands are popular in your area, so you can get quick service?

As for type/style. The poly units are getting more and more popular Electric motors are very reliable, no maintenance. Auger vs. belt/chain is debatable. You should do some searching and browsing. There is tons of information here.

I personally have a Fisher PolyCaster, 1st generation. It has been a good unit for two years. I also have an older Procaster with the Honda. Yellow mild steel. Rust is a huge problem on these. If you go with a steel unit, get stainless. If you must go gas, go Honda.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

He's a long way away.

5. rs services

I plan to use it in my dump truck its a 3500 with 10ft bed there are several dealers in the area they all have there sales pitches I want to hear from the experts the guys using them

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well you can put anything you want in that. I guess I should have asked how much you need to apply per storm. Obviously you can physically fit a large unit on there, but you will overload the suspension/tires.

Does the truck have central hydros by any chance?

7. rs services

it does have central hydraulics but only has the two hose system

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I dont' know much, anything really, about central hydros. I do know that people that have them like them very much. I would be looking for a hydraulic driven stainless steel unit.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I have had great experiences with both AirFlo and Downeaster. Two of my Airflos are 11 years old now. We have had to replace some bearing and such over the years, but generally a great built unit with no complaints.

We wash them out, grease and store inside after ever use.

10. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

AirFlows are a great unit...bit pricy...although quality built.
    I think if your going above 2 yd...perhaps consider as JohnnyRoyale stated; but dealership location is another to consider. Based on your profile location...check out Western.

11. Eden's Own

Eden's Own Junior Member
    from Indiana

Are you sure you want a hydraulic unit? What if the truck goes down? At least with a gas powered unit you could transfer to a rental truck. Just something to think about.