1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hopper conveyor broke

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Jan 27, 2015.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I've got a two ton load on a conver that just broke today. Any ideas on how to link the conveyor back up to get the load off. It is a buyers v hopper, runs great, clutch works, the conveyor chain broke right after I put a 2 ton load of salt. I probably used only 500lbs before it broke, so it's basically full. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Unless it's on a dump box, or the link is exposed....start shoveling!

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yep start shoveling, nothing else you can do unless you have a super sized shop vac.
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Screw that shoveling. Turn the vibrator and spinner on and go to the car wash. For 10-15 bucks you can power wash it out in about 20 minutes. Been there done that.
  5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Power wash 2 yards of salt out at a car wash?!
    That's an A hole move!
  6. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

Tough n up and start shoveling ,
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

be sure use the rust inhibitor......LOL.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

You don't know what you're talking about. I did it and then when I was done I used the blade to push it all over his parking lot. I know the owner and he called and thanked me.
  9. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

That's funny!! $15 AINT gonna wash 2ton of salt out of anything. At $130 a ton, I'd be stupid to waste a load of salt.
  10. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I got it all dug out. It took about 30 minutes to get everything dug out. Fortunately it warmed up that day cause I think it helped the salt thaw out. The rocked up salt was the culprit and I just put the link back together. It seemed like the chain was stretched out a bit so I adjusted the sprocket bearing to the longest setting. I may have to take a link out, possibly buy a new belt and have it on stock for back up.