1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hope we dont get hit!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Feb 1, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

my truck went down this morning an it wont be fixed til midday tomm. all my salting will be done with push spreaders tonite. Gonna get out an pre salt before the snow falls! hope we dont get more than an inch or i am doomed , anyone evr had this happen , lets hear about it an you guys wish me well thanks George

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I once shoveled 3 inches off a Ponderosa (restaurant) parking lot. Its amazing how big one really is when you don't have a truck:p Just do what you have to do wesport. Just Pre treat and come up with a contingency plan if you need. Other companies? Friends? Alot of salt, Just start calling every one you know. Worst case round up some people and buy some snow shovels, it works ;)

3. Vaughn Schultz

Just looked at your forecast, I think you will be fine;) Less than an inch, and around here that means a chance of a snow flake. Your three steps should be

1. Light snow, Salt
    2. Med snow, Snow shovels, salt, and maybe call a buddy.
    3. Heavy freak snow, rent a skid loader form a rental shop or home depot for the day it should be about $250.00 or less, and go to town :gunsfiring:

But in all honesty, 1-2 inches just dont give up, turn into a complete maniac and start shovelingprsport , just go nuts wesport

4. baddboygeorge

thanks

i have a few lesco spreaders an thats whats gonna happen tonite an i have 60 bags loaded up an ready! If we have to salt 3 times its gonna get done !!my guys are in bed getting ready! i will let you guys no how it goes an maybe take a few pics of all the late nite action!! thanks George

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

if you lived over here, you would have gotten your wish since like usual, we aren't getting what we were said earlier in the week to get tomm.

6. Vaughn Schultz

I hope you get some work, make some money, and have an awesome story to tell from then on "the night you and your guys killed three inches of snow with lesco spreaders and snow shovels" :p wesport you need to get pumped up !!:angry: :gunsfiring: NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER!!!

333.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  7. baddboygeorge

grass

hell i am pumped an ready for a blizzard!!

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

this reminds me, now that i think about it, two winters ago, we got about 10" while my family and I were down in boston for a few hours, come home and go to plow with dad at his office lot, and low and behold, remembers the plow is in the shop!!!! LOL, we went home got the snowblower and i snowblowered that entire parking lot!!!! Took about four hours, but man, that was A LOT of fun at the time.

9. Vaughn Schultz

ROCK on MAN !! Thats what I want to hear :salute: Any one can plow snow when everything works it times like this that test your character, and set you apart from the rest :drinkup:

10. baddboygeorge

mcw an grass!

thats rite grass its all about character ! an i am one hell of a character! i aint gonna let a little snow hold me down! thanks guys for the replys

11. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

No worries mate, just melt it. Presalt will control the accumulation and post salt will melt the rest. I do this as much as possible to control accumulations by salting. I would much rather do two salts than plow since the cost is usually about the same to a customer if you were to plow and salt.

12. baddboygeorge

andy!

great point i never thought of it that way ! thanks George

13. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

Hey George........ I'm also here in Louisville and if we get hit hard tonight and you need some help give me a call im in the yellow page Thanks take and be safe...

Ebbs Lawn Service

14. Vaughn Schultz

Would you look at that :) What a guy, looks like you are in good hands. I just checked your forecast again. I really think you will be fine;)

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Good luck, hope the weather guessers are right this time. LOL I see guys using push spreader around here all the time, at least you have the good heavy duty ones. How many accounts and how big are we talking, just curious. I'm sure you will be fine.

16. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

george

If you ever need some help down south, give me a shout. I'm just up in Indy, a little 1 1/2 hour drive to get down there to you. By the way, what happened to the F250 you were trying to sell, did you finally get rid of it, or was that the truck that went down? Scott

17. Vaughn Schultz

Looks like your best shot of accumulating snow will be in the wee hours of the morning, radar as of now show nothing. :rolleyes: Temps are going to top out at 33 so your salt is going to kick butt.

Plotter.png

18. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

everything broke

sunday the 21st 3" wet snow, 1st truck 2 batteries, alternator, and fusible link blew. One hour later or so 2nd truck which is my main truck blew the seals out of the inside of the pump,had to use floor jack lot to lot,bad part is only have 3 lots done out of 20. Next, mind you now this is the same day couple hours later other drive calls says pump is smoking, yes he was right, burnt motor up. No working plow and still about 10 more lots, totaling about 5-6 acres total left. The next two weeks haven't been much better, break downs almost everyday and the worst part is new parts breaking. Sunday 28th,salting a 2 acre parking lot that wants zero ice, truck stopped running before the first pass, new fuel pump, 17 degrees out 11:30pm windy, towed in next day, tow bill and found broken wire to fuel pump. Lots more but you guys don't want to read a book. Don't forget I'm a business owner I have all the money.:dizzy:

19. Vaughn Schultz

20. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

haha my buddy did the same thing, it was a sunday, and his truck was in the shop, for some reason he just assumed the shop was open on sundays, and of course it wasnt, lol (he was prolly high or something) and like freaked out, lol i ended up plowing his whole route, and lots for him, lol it sucked, it was a big storm too like close to a foot real wet snow, i was out for like 20 hours, lol