1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up with the city?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I'd like to know how to become a sub for a local city and was wondering on how to go about doing this. Do I just call, or do I have to know somebody?
    Does anyone have advise or experience working for the city to plow side streets and such?

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know. But what I have gathered from reading here. You'll need an adequate truck, plow, and plowing insurance. Most towns, cities hire on their subs in the fall around October or so. Usually there is an ad in the local paper. If they want you, I think your truck needs to be inspected by them. From what I've read, not a bad way to go. When you are out, you are out for awhile. Not much wear and tear on the drivetrain like driveways and lots. But you'll go through some edges and more plow maintenance.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I just got on with a local town here on long island (ny). I had to get a commercial certificate with the town as the interested party, fill out an affadavit and have my truck inspected. I think it took about 15 mins for the paperwork to go through and the truck to be done. I did this last week and have already plowed 2 storms that my old private employer would not have even called us out for. It seems like it is better on the truck, with less shifting and nice long runs. I Might go through shoes and blades faster but i'll be getting a lot more work, plus my route is 5 mins from my house. Cant beat that! Good luck with your decision.:drinkup:

4. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I have a town route right in my own neighborhood as well as private lots and driveways. I like plowing for the town. They won't let us plow with shoes on however. Nor would I want to. That's the first thing that came off of my plow. Barefoot!!

5. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

Well you will most likely not have any chance of getting on this season. Usually around October or early/mid november is when you can get paper work..I plow for the town of bellingham, Ma and i have 7 large roads including my own :) and i love it..its good money but it does eat a cutting edge fairly quickly. As for insurance the only thing i needed was my normal truck policy and they just took a picture of my truck, no thorough inspection was done but every town is going to differ. Some towns team plow for every road not just main roads like the two surrounding towns around me, Hope i helped a little bit, good luck.

6. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I just got on 2 weeks ago and I've plowed 3 storms so far. All I did was stop at the town garage and ask. They have 36 outside contractors on call. They require commercial Insurance w/ 500,000 Liabillity (had 1MM), a cell phone, and you fill out a form with what you have, how to get in touch w/ you and any days or times you're not available.

I ended up with a route out on the back roads, all with long runs and it looks like I'll get Diamond Hill Park (roads and lot) when my routes finished.

You will wear your cutting edge quick. We can run feet, I have 4 but it's not helping save the edge much. I just flipped it 2 storms ago and 25% is gone already.

I'd suggest checking all your surrounding towns to see who's offering the best deal. I had a fire station and a mill yard (still do) all short back and forth. You really need a snofoil or rubber deflector cause you'll be running faster for the town.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My town is a little larger and they only hire you as a driver. I am going to get in contact with them and see if they don't want to bid out some of the neighborhoods that we have. They don't get touched until everything else is done and by then there is 10" of packed snow on the roads.