1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hooking up sub work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gotgetter, Dec 27, 2001.

1. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

I was wondering how one would go about hooking up sub work to clear sidewalks for plowing contractors?

Was thinking of getting a couple decent snow blowers to handle a few very small driveways for my current lawn customers, but would also like to maybe get some sidewalk work from a plowing contractor. Sorta to make the blower purchases more worth while. (Plus I can use them on my own driveway).

Before anyone suggests that I just plow, I just don't have the money nor the space for a plow and I wouldn't want to use my truck for plowing anyway ('99 dakota).

So, do I just go through the phone book calling plowing contractors and ask if they need a sidewalk guy?
    If so, can anyone give me an idea what kind of money I might be looking at?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS. Just found that I asked almost the same question earlier this year already! Sorry for the repeat post.

However, can never have too many replies, so please reply if you have any thoughts on this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2001
  2. Moony

Moony Banned

Try joining sima, for 130.00 @ year , you can ask them for a reputable plower.

3. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Gogetter, what you are offerring is a dream come true for many plowing contractors. Any plans to move to NJ? LOL

~Chuck

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Chuck,
    I will pay for him to move to NY.
    Brian and I will share him LOL :D

6. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

Hey, hey, hey! I'm not a piece of meat! LOL!

Anyway, I know it will vary from area to area and from contractor to contractor, but can anyone give me an idea what kinda of money a contractor might pay a sidewalk/snow blower guy?
    I could go around and try to get small driveways myself and set my own rate, but there are alot of shopping centers, malls, apartment complexes, etc. in the area and seems there would be a need for sidwalk guys. And this way, I wouldn't have to go out and secure the work and deal with a bunch of customers.

Thanks for your replies. Jonathan

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Sorry Jonathan,
    We just got a little excited when someone wants to do sidewalks.:)
    I believe you could charge between $25 to $45 an hour for a man and blower.
    Good Luck and tell us if you want to move to NY:D

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey you're only about 45 minute drive from here (probably a little longer in the snow, but...). E-mail me & I can probably find enough work to make it worth the effort! You won't even have to move near that Nelson guy! See, Chuck wasn't kidding, I've got my fork & steak knife out & ready ;)

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I agree with Mike Nelson as far as rates go in this area. From what I have seen, the same hourly rate applies to all sidewalk labor, be it using a blower, hand shoveling, or spreading de-icer.

Another thought for walks is an ATV with plow. Do a search, it has been covered before. Around here, they fetch between $40 & $65 an hour. They cost 3x as much as a blower, and will clear 3x more snow, so they fetch about 3x the blower rate.

The only other issue I see doing walks for another contractor, is liability. If they are plowing the lot, and you are doing the walks only, it can get tricky. If you are doing the de-icer applications on the walks as well as clearing them, I suppose any slip-n-falls on the walks would be your hit. If someone fell in the lot, the other contractor would take the hit. Then again, you may come across a contractor who would take the whole hit, who knows. Walks are a real pain as you can see from the replies here. What you are offerring is valuable, so contractors will bend more then usual to get rid of the headache of doing walks.

~Chuck

10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Gotgetter,

I am new to the site here, for the last 2 yrs I have been paying my subs, ( I have 2 ) The one that does the sidewalks for me gets $30 an hr for him and his machine, But because I don't want to deal with the liability I do the ice management. The guy that runs his truck for me gets $50 an hr. They seem to be happy, my work gets done right and fairly quickly, and I still make a good profit. Now all I need for this year is the white stuff.....

Take care and good luck....
    Rick

11. DMAN

DMAN Junior Member

Snow blowing Sub work

Gotgetter, I was wondering how you made out with your contacts in regards to your post on subbing out sidewalk work. I am a small operation and have a couple of blowers and was think about doing the same thing if it ever snows around here!! I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me on how to get started with this( e.g. pricing,liability issues,contacts,contracts??) Thanks again for your reply. Darron