1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hooking up speader light

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gman2310, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

I need to hook up a spreader light to buyers vbox. I hooked it up to the white while on spreader harness but it keeps blowing lights. Anyone know which wire too hook up to, I don't want to run a seperate wire.
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

i would run a seperate wire. Ive seen others say that if you hook it to the spreader controller what happens is, as you adjust the flow or the spinner you begin to loose light or gain more light when the spreader is set to a lower setting. Just run a second wire and then you will have consistant light
  3. John from OH

John from OH Member

Gman, take the time and do it right once, rather than band aid it and have to fix it many times. What we do is take a wire right off the + terminal of the truck battery to a relay (couple of bucks at an auto parts store) on the firewall of the truck. From the relay, run a wire through the firewall and mount a switch on your dash. From the switch, we run 12-2 low voltage landscape light wire to the back of the truck. We use landscape light wire as it holds up better to the salt brine you will encounter with a plow truck. We attach one leg of the 12-2 to the switch, the other we ground to the dash (find a place that is metal). Grounding inside the truck will elimated future grounding problems due to corrosion. Run your landscape light wire to the back of the truck. We follow the factory wiring harness along the frame rail and cable tie the landscape light wire to it. every 2'. At the back of the truck we wire in a 2 pole connecter. We then mount the light on the spreader. Next, drill a hole in the bottom of the light big enough to get another piece of landscape light wire into the light. By drilling the hole on the bottom, any water that gets into the light will drain out. Replace the factory wiring in the light with your landscape light wire and dielectric grease both terminals. Connect the remaining end of your 2 pole connecter to the wire coming from the light. We use bullet connecters for this and tape them well. Next, coat both sides of the 2 pin connecter with dielectric grease and plug them in. You should have light. With this set up, you can use the spreader light as a back up light when plowing. It works much better than your truck back up lights. Just rremeber to turn off the light when traveling and also make sure you turn it off at the end of the day or it will drain your battery.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I've always run a separate wire with a relay and switch for my spreader.This year I never got around to wiring it on my new truck. I got the big bright idea of using the 4 way trailer connector to run a 55 watt floodlight and 4 tir3 led light. Haven't had any problems yet. Works great and saved alot of time running wires and switches.
  5. landscapemike2

landscapemike2 Junior Member
    from 62269

if its a gas v bottom wire it into the cluch then its on when clutch is engaged that way you see the salt spread
  6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

All of mine come from my 7 pin trailer harness. Buy a plug, wire it to the tail light pin and use the ground pin. Done. Everytime your lights come on, it comes on. Also wired a reverse beeper this way using the reverse pin on the connector. Works flawlessly!
  7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We run off the clutch on our gas v boxes........