1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hooking up plow lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mmasini, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mmasini

mmasini Junior Member

i have a 95 gmc 1500. i hooked up my plow lights to my truck lights and then to a switch and when i turn on that switch while my lights on the truck are on, the plow lights dont come on and my truck lights dim very bad and go out for a few seconds then back on dim and off.
    i guess i need to interrupt the circuit, but i cant understand the directions on fishers web site. can someone explain to me how to do this?

2. mmasini

mmasini Junior Member

30 views no response? any help out there?

is there a better place to post this?
  3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

sounds to me that with you hooking up the plow lights to the truck lights you are pulling too much juice through already small wires. while it isn't completely bad to tap that circuit you should at least be running a relay so that direct current will be flowing through a different/larger gauge wire. most factory wire is too small to run anything but the truck headlights themselves.

I have just run a relay for the plow lights and presto- no problems like you are describing.. they are pretty cheap, a standard 30amp relay is like 4-5 dollars at most parts stores. there are plenty of diagrams on how to wire them if you do a google search.