1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up my new phase 3 power washer

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by motox, Mar 8, 2012.

1. motox

motox Junior Member

Has anyone ever hooked up phase 3 power or know how difficult it is.? I just bought a phase. 3 power washer to wash my plow trucks and didn't realize that I needed this type of power hookup..
  2. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Do you have 3 phase available?
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have a feeling this may be a tough lesson for the OP....although I am hoping for the best in this situation!

Given that this is the PICS FORUM, I would love to see what the unit looks like!

Just to add, at the garage I rent out of, the owner looked to have 3-phase extended from about a mile or less down the road to our garage and the price was in the 5 digit range....needless to say, we currently don't have 3-phase
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Well I will start by saying if you live in the united states and want to install this in your resi home I would say your sol... If you live on a main road in an industrial area then its possible. But most likely you will only have 220 available to you.... If this is for your shop then its possible.... Do you have standard panels or 277 panels?
  5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

you can buy a converter to use a 3 phase unit with single phase power. They really arnt to expensive.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I could help you but accept NO responsibility. First as others have said you need to verify you have 3 phase power and what voltage? What voltage is the pressure washer? With 3 phase you will have 3 leads and a ground coming into the breaker box, single phase you will have 2 leads and a ground. Something else to be aware of with 3 phase, you will need to check rotation of the motor if it's wrong you just swap any 2 of the 3 leads going to the unit.
  7. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

8. motox

motox Junior Member

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

for $180.01 you did pretty well! Even with the conversion. I have never seen one of those before, but I bet it will peel paint!
  10. motox

motox Junior Member

I hope so... Im hoping this conversion wont cost me an arm and a leg... we had very little snowfall this winter= not much money to work with for upgrades for our spring

The converter will work just fine, what amp service do you have right now? Depending on what your incoming voltage is will "adjust" your outgoing voltage from the converter. You might see anything from low 200's to 240's
  12. motox

motox Junior Member

I'm not sure exactly my voltage is at now I will need to hire an electrician to install the converter. Right now I think we have only the 110 power outlets at my shop. Do you think the power washer will operate decently with those 200-240 numbers

You'll have 208-220v coming in on 2 legs and you only pull off 1 leg for the 110v. The lower the voltage you have going to the pressure washer the higher the amp draw will be. 220-240v is considered the "same" 208 is not, technically you aren't suppose to run 220-240v designated equipment on 208 but a lot of people do. You just will pulling higher amps but as long as you are still within the service factor of the motor you're ok
  14. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

When I remodeled commercial building I bought, I had to install 3 phase for a new HVAC unit. The utility company had to put in the bank of 3 transofrmer thingys on the nearby utility pole, and bury the cable to the building. Cost ~$2800. That doesn't include the electricial hooking up the panel inside, etc. Not being familiar with how electric works, I had never heard of 3 phase before that.

I learned normal electrical stuff can run off the 3 phase panel, but a specific 3-phase motor cannot run off of the normal panel. Good luck.
  15. motox

motox Junior Member

I also wondered if I could take the 3 phase motor off of the washer and hook the pump up to a standard 110 or 220 motor instead of having to convert 110 to 3 phase

As long as nothing else on the unit is 3 phase ( I doubt it). Find the frame size and HP on the motor tag and call some electric motor shops and see what a single phase motor would cost
  17. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

Sparky sez " ask an electrician ":mechanic:

elec chart.jpg

bad elec.jpg

bad elec panel.jpg
  18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

No such thing a 3 phase 110 volt AC.

Some where on the unit it will tell you the voltage, amperage and phases need for operation. Please post the information and I will try to help you.
  19. motox

motox Junior Member

Volts# 208-230/460
    Amps# 15-13.2/6.6
    Rpm# 1725
    Hz# 60
    Cat# gm3615t
    Spec# 36a02w415
    Frame# 184tc
    Serial# f793
  20. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Okay, here is what this all means.

You can use 3 Phase 208 Volts AC and it will draw up to 15 Amps
    If you use 3 Phase 230 Volts AC it will draw up to 13.2 Amps
    If you use 3 phase 460 Volts AC it will draw up to 6.6 Amps.

For motor start up the inverter you purchase should be sized 125% of full load Amperage.

So if you purchase a 3 Phase 208 Phase Inverter you should find one rated for 18.75 or greater Amperage.

For 230 Volt it would be 16.5 or greater amperage

For 460 Volts it would be 8.25 or greater amperage.

You can use the following site to figure horsepower.

Good Luck.