1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up Boss Plow W/Ballast

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 92XT, Dec 13, 2007.

1. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Have you ever loaded your truck with a ton or two then went to hook up the Boss?

She wont catch.

That 15-1/2 inches is now 17.
    :dizzy:
    I caught myself doing this a few times last year. I now keep a dolly jack nearby.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

been there done that, had my wife pull the truck forward as i lifted the plow up by grapping the cross piece that the raise cylinder attaches to and well, pulling. i was in front of the plow so their was little chance of me getting run over. of course then i have ot unhook the thing, basically the opposite.
    this year i put the plow in float, went forward and hit the brakes, the front of my truck dove down enough to release the plow.

3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

ID HAVE MY WIFE LIFT THE PLOW AND ID PULL IT UP . SHOOT , MAMA DIDNT RAISE NO FOOL.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I just add some air in the rear airbags then hookup. Once im hooked up i let the air back out :D

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The best procedure is to calculate the ballast into the truck height when assembling the mount in the first place, then move the mount for the estimated weight you'll be carrying. Now of course in many applications, the weight will fluctuate...but you can estimate it close enough for it to work properly.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just put your plow on first;)

The weight of the plow will counteract the "ballast" lowering
    the front.;)

7. 04superduty

at 4' 11" and 120 lbs wy wife couldnt lift the plow. if she was able to, she would have hurt her back and i would have never heard the end of it.

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

sometimes that always isnt possible. But that makes good sense to me .Still waiting to plow the boss stickers off the damn thing.

9. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

I did it once, unloaded the plow to get new tires, went from 245's to 265's. I dropped the plow in the tire store lot before they mounted em.
    Went to load up and I realized what I did. Didnt have a floor jack so i used a ratchet strap around the bumper and jacked the plow up enought to get her mounted.

Was embarasing but a good leason was learned :D

10. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

WTF. You just spent $x00 on tires there, and the tire store didn't have a floor jack they could loan you for five minutes??

11. 04superduty

it may sound stupid, and it is, but if they lend you a floor jack they assume a lot of liability. you drop that plow on your foot and you could sue them. the local discount tire will not lend their floor jack out at all. of course they would help and have one of the tire jockies use the jack.