1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up a Western and Boss Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Karlboro, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

The spring that holds the pin back until you raise the tower was bent down; that is what I was messing with on the passenger side. That spring has since been replaced. Our plows are usually kept on a slight slope just because it's the best spot we have to keep them out of the way. About 60% of the time the pins lock in on their own. Otherwise it takes a little "jiggle". One of my friends with some Boss plows said they have to do the same. Anyone else have to do this?
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

My boss takes a half hr with a floor jack and a pinch bar. But it dowsnt have smart hitch, and its not exactly straight/ square.

Which do you prefer? I think i like westerns system better
  5. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

I honestly like them both. Lame answer I know! Each has it's +'s, neither really has it's -'s.
  6. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Nice looking trucks/plows! Where abouts are you in Wisconsin? I'm out of Wind Lake.
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

After experience with many plows, westerns system is fantastic. I have never hooked up a boss so I can't nock it, but have been more then thrilled with westerns compared to snoway, arctic and fisher.
  8. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

We service Milwaukee/Waukesha county area.
  9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I did some Fluid Film to the pins and springs on my BOSS V, it helps with the ease of locking it in.
  10. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

The power and control leads on your Boss seam way too long. Mine are just long enough to connect to the truck with the frame tilted forward. I'd be worried about them getting hung up on something at that length.

The only problem I ever have hooking my Boss up is when Ive waited until after the snow started and the trucks frame is riding an inch or so higher because it is on snow. Then you have to break the floor jack out and raise the plow a little. I dont even have the smart hitch system on mine. Pull into the plow, connect the power, stand infront of the plow and push back on the light bar, release the pins on both sides and give it a good shove.
  11. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

hardest part I have is lining up the truck with the plow. after I drive in it takes me 30 seconds before I'm on the go.

I think the boss system tops them all.
  12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

No problems, they lay in the bumper of the dodge so they dont hang down at all. I haven't had any issues with them falling down riding on Michigan roads or our small crater pot hole dirt roads.
  13. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I will echo the positive comments on the Western Ultramount, it is incredibly easy to hook up. By far the easiest mounting system out of my experience (Boss/Blizzard).

The boss on my truck takes a little wiggling/persuading too.
  14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Not going to lie, after watching the video and a short discussion i drove to PA, and bought a 9.2 boss v. Smart hitched it up and smiled the whole way home and while i unhooked it. Still smiling
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My RT2 takes 2 people to hook it up and lots of wiggling
  16. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

The following is how I feel about the plows I own, both being Vees:
    -The Western Ultramount is easier to drive into, and I like how you can remove the "receivers" to maintain ground clearance not in the snow season. Boss undercarriage hangs a tad low.
    -Both Boss and Western connections are easy to use and maintain.
    -Both scrape/clean the surface really well.
    -I've noticed the Boss scrapes a LITTLE better on a hard-packed lot. (This observation has been made when I had both trucks working the same sites at the same time because the customers did not have a plow company lined up or their truck took a sh**.)
    -The majority of the time I'm in the truck with the Boss and I really like the hand controls over the Western controls. Obviously the guy who normally drives my truck with the Western says he's used to it...like a good operator should be.
    -The Western hydraulics seem to move a LITTLE quicker.
    - No matter the surface, angle or incline the Western has been dropped on so far has affected the ease of hooking up. The Boss needs the "jiggle" once and awhile.
    -Both back drag well for a truck length (smartlocks on the Boss)
    -Durability of both is great so far as I can tell, and both have been put through their paces.

I feel both were good investments.This is when dealer support becomes a big selling point to be honest.