1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hooking up a 4-prong trailer wire

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirt digger, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

so i just bought one of those LED bars that goes between the tailgate and bumper that acts as a turn/brake/taillight and it plugs into the truck using a simple 4-prong trailer adapter. The only problem is my truck doesn't have a 4-prong plug...it doesn't have any plug for that matter...

so my question is when i hook up this plug can i just splice the wires running into my tailights/turn signals/ brake lights and run it to the plug of do i need some type of relay coming off the battery like i have for my auxillary reverse lights?....remember i'm not going to pull any trailer so all it has to do it power this LED strip.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Dirt Digger
    Go to a auto parts store and give them the yr and make of your truck and they have a after market plugin for your truck its seals water tight no wire cutting or splicing they are around $20.00 to $30.00 biggie fries.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you put Dielecrtic grease in the plugs to protect them from water etc.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What yr, make and model is your truck?
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its a baby nissan truck...i went to auto zone today and did what walkers said and ordered a T-connector...should be in tomorrow
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can also get kits when you upgrade stereo's too. You solder the kits wires to your stereo's wires then just plug in to the stock system. It makes it a lot easier to upgrade stereo's.