1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooking up a 4 line phone

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by kandklandscape0, Nov 10, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

Not sure if this is the correct form to be posting in but we just bought a 4 line phone system that is expandable up to 16 stations.

Ok we got the main line and fax line currently, we are getting 2 more lines installed next week. The fax is a seperate line then the main line #

My ? is do I need to install 2 more additional lines, and 2 more surface mount jacks? Should I run 2 NEW wires to the D MARK? The phone mount jack says it is a 6 conductor which seperates 3 lines, I understand you can take one jack and get 3 lines out of it, however the 2 new lines will be going to other phones.

What I want to do is keep ALL lines in the same place as in keep them in the current location. I could imagine I could just take the wires off the other (main) jack and split them off the the 2 new lines correct? And then I need to run from these boxs to where the phones are located. I do not want to have the phone cord running from the jack to the phone 100' long like they will need to be. I would rather run them in the rafters below the floor, surely understanding is.\

Confusing question I guess lol. But what im asking is if I can just jump the new surface mount jacks to the current (main) line without running the wires to the dmark, However I just need to bounce the new lines from the new boxs to where the phones are, is this correct?
  2. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

Also I want all the lines from the d mark to ring on the 4 line phone, and or cordless phone. Is this possible without purchasing a huge phone system? I only want the 3 lines, (main) currently hooked up and the 2 other lines i am going to get installed.
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Im not sure without being there to see it. We have a 2 line system, and it was ez lol.

My buddy has 5 lines with 26 diffen Locations, thur out his shop. but were taking 7-8k system.
  4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Why worry about it. When the installer comes just tell him what you want, and go have a cup of coffee and when he wants to know about snow removal, he can ask you.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

this might be up my alley so I will try and shed some light on it

each phone line requires 2 wires.
    most standard phone cable has 4 wires, therefor you can get 2 lines on each wire.

so by the sounds of it you will need to string more wire.

also most cheaper phones that are not part of a (phone system with a base mount) will only take 2 lines.

if you have a (phone system with a base mount) then everything is controlled with 2 wires and the system base station does the splitting and routing. this system is usually not cheap

pull an existing surface mount jack and on the wire is there 4 or 6 wires? if 6 then you can run 3 lines, and your fax line you will just have to reroute perhaps run another wire, but that should be for only one place.