1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hooked up the plow today and truck started leaking coolant

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sledneck24x, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

:dizzy:So I decided today I would hook up the plow and check that everything was in good working order and because i want to touch up some of the paint. But then I noticed that as i was unhooking the plow that my 2001 F250 Diesel was leaking coolant by the front drivers side tire. So I unhooked the plow and drove it down the road to see if it was leaking bad and it stopped leaking. I cant tell where it is coming and what would cause this. HELP would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Jon

2. sledneck24x

Not a real bad leak just a small puddle 3-4 fl oz.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check the clamps at the radiator,or was it tranny fluid/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. sledneck24x

it was coolant. I checked the radiator and i didnt see or feel anything.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

did you hook the plow up and then go for a drive down the road? did you notice the engine temp gauge? probably got too hot and boiled over. with the plow out front you are not getting airflow through the radiator. probably an indication your fan clutch is shot.

6. sledneck24x

I was just sitting idle and putting it in my garage I had it idling for a few minutes. Right away i checked the coolant reservoir and it was right where it should be and doesnt look like it lost anything really.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

oil cooler should be on that side of the engine, look to see if it is running down the oil filter.