1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hoof Fix....what am I doing wrong

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by luke_willy84, Jan 12, 2010.

1. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

I have read Alaska_Boss post on how to solve the problem by putting a piece of conveyor belt between there and done all that. My question is when I put the plow in the V/travel position the flap I've put in the middle tends to tear out. I have been through 3 or 4 of these pieces, which I am making out of an old mud flap off a semi. Seems that something has to stretch 2 to 3 inches to go from straight back to the V position. I don't wanna spend 70 on the hoof, but as of now I can't figure out anything that will fix this permanently. Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try your intall with it in the V back (travel) position. HTH

3. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Installing it with the plow in the V makes too much slack in the material when you put the plow straight. I tried that and there was still a gap there.

4. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

is this on top of the blade were a big gap forms in v position?????? if so install it in the straight position that is its widest point

5. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

No, I'm talking about the bottome of the plow where the cutting edge has a gap because my snow catcher thing broke off

6. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

ahh ok mine has the new 2 piece edge so i do not have that and if i had photos to see what you are trying to do i my not be no professional fabricator but i can find ways at times that noone else thinks of since my 9-5 job requires abstract thinking

7. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

It appears as though you're a farmer IH driver...as am I except we run green machines:)...if you do a search under hoof fix or something like that there is a bunch of pictures from Alaska_boss who did the same thing

8. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

I believe boss sells the updated ( curved ) steel cutting edges for your plow . No need for the $75 snowcatcher anymore. But if do install another hoof you must wear it on dry pavement to meet the cutting edge before plowing snow.