1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hood scoop for plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 8, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i have issues with overheating when going on the highway, lowering the plow doesent seem to help enogh, so i was concidering building a smal scoop on the plow to force some air down in front of the the truck grill.

anyone else do this or have a better fix? 04 dodge ram 1500

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

scoop

a few people have tryed them ,i dont know how well they went over .the one i knew of was called the cooler .

3. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

4. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i bought an upgraded fan clutch assembly from the dealer. it keeps the fan on at higher rpms (cruising highway speeds), and it fixes the problem. i have thought a lot about buying an electric fan, because the fan clutch upgrade, draws more power from the engine, thus, declining my mpg's... either WILL work.. if you want to try a scoop to move air to your radiator, they make products for that aswell. i have no experience with that, but if they have them, it must work right?

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I did the hood scoop thing once, it never made a difference. I put a new fan clutch in, fixed the problem

6. birddseedd

no effect huh... my fan runs off of the crankshaft so its always running at the rpm of the engine.

im not sure what to do then.

7. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

i may be wrong but it should still have a clutch..... also what engine?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. birddseedd

i guess youre right. though having a higher duty clutch wont really help. it only overheats going down the highway. in which case an oem and high duty clutch would spin at the same speed.

what i need to check for is if the clutch is worn out, if that is the case then it wouldent spin like it should. a high duty clutch only makes it spin at a lower temp. which isent much of an issue on the highway.

9. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

what i need to check for is if the clutch is worn out, if that is the case then it wouldent spin like it should. a high duty clutch only makes it spin at a lower temp. which isent much of an issue on the highway.[/QUOTE]

the hd fan clutch DOES spin at higher RPMs.... it isn't controlled in any way by your engine temp.. only an ELECTRIC fan will be controled by your engine temp.

both my 02 and my dads 04 had overheating problems b4 the HD fan upgrade.

10. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

im just saying even though the fan is ran off the crank, it still has a clutch on it. im 99% sure it has a fan clutch...... and it sounds as if it is worn out in your case:mechanic:

11. birddseedd

the hd fan clutch DOES spin at higher RPMs.... it isn't controlled in any way by your engine temp.. only an ELECTRIC fan will be controled by your engine temp.

both my 02 and my dads 04 had overheating problems b4 the HD fan upgrade.[/QUOTE]

the fluid inside the clutch works off of ambient heat not engine coolant heat. this is why a working clutch spins more freely on a cool. engine than one that has been running for some time.

do you have a link or info about what fan you purchased. was it just a heavy dudy one from the parts store or an afterkarket one made by a specialized company? thanks in advance

12. birddseedd

yes, I was wrong, it has a clutch, it works off of some weird hydrolic heat activated fluid or something. I'll see if mine is worn out, but either case I will have to buy a better one.

13. AmericanPlower

AmericanPlower Junior Member

Ya, if you have a Chevy truck and you plow with it it is very common when it overheats that the problem is usually the fan clutch..

14. birddseedd

dodge truck. but it feels very weak so im confident its the fan cllutch.

15. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I put a piece of diamond plate on the lift arm of my old western so when the plow was up it forced air it to the radiator.