1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honey I can't get out of the drive!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HoneyItsSnowing, Sep 30, 2010.

1. HoneyItsSnowing

HoneyItsSnowing Junior Member

Hi Friends!

The name is Geoff. The Wife and I are moving to a rather snowy and secluded part of the great Rocky Mountains. Gonna need a plow truck. Never had one, fairly handy in the home and shop but plow trucks are beyond me. I am sure similar questions have been answered many times in this forum but I would appreciate some direct response. From what I gather from you all...

1. Don't but a truck with a plow already attached.

Got it. So what I would love to know is:

1. Good models to look for. Found a guy on CL in my area that has a 91 F250 for $1400. SAYS it runs great. Any favorites?

2. So first I buy the truck then I buy the plow.. Is hooking up the controls difficult? I mean I'm not stupid, I think.. Is it hard to set up?

3. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Any help or direction to a good learning resource is much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Geoff

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

First off, you get what you pay for. Unless this 91 is in mint condition with super low miles, you might be in for more headaches than its worth. Second, I would look for a newer truck with out a plow, plowing snow beats the he!! out of trucks and if you find one with a plow already on it chances are its had some abuse. You'll find out fast enough that plowing can get very expensive. The ol' saying, your damned if you do and your damned if you dont couldn't be any more true. Your damned if you spend more money on a newer set up to avoid breaks downs (which could happen at any time with any truck) and your damned if you go cheap and dump a ton of money into a piece of junk. You can usually find a decent plow set up for 3-4k. Good luck.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you're plowing just your driveway, there's nothing wrong with an old beater and having a plow on it already will save you the expense and hassle of buying/installing one.

if you're looking for a truck to go out and make money with, thats a whole other story.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pay someone else to plow for you and save ALL the headaches

5. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Do you have other use for the truck? If so, you might want to get something more reliable. If not, than do you have other work around your property that you could use another machine such as a tractor with plow and/or bucket? Just some thoughts.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Putting a plow on a truck is usually better left to the pros. A lot of little things that if you havent done them before will drive you nuts. It can be done, i put my plows on. But usually, if your not used to it, the money is well spent on a pro.

7. snowtech

snowtech Member

if you dont need the truck for anything other than plowing the drive i would either hire someone to do it or get a tractor.

8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I'm with him. If you need a truck or an SUV to live up there, Find a decent used unit in the ads. or internet, pay the local pro OR welding/fab shop to install it and carefully learn how to use it. If you take care of it, it will probably not lose any value. If you are getting an acreage and you drive a subaru, get a nice garden or compact tractor and blower. This maybe easier for you to manage. (Deere kubota CaseIH New Holland etc.) NOT craftsman or yardman husky etc.

9. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

How 'bout some detail on what you are plowing? Do you have a long driveway. What is the average depth of a single snow fall? What is the annual snowfall?

I have a long driveway 600ft and put a plow on an older truck I own. Its just for doing my drive and helping out the neighbors. 600 ft of drive with what I'd say an average snowfall of 4-6in at a time and a max of 3-4ft/yr, it beats a tractor from a time and comfort standpoint. Many of my neighbors have similar situations and have mid-weight plows on their daily drivers. If you're just doing your driveway, its not that hard on your truck in my opinion.

BTW, I consider myself a 'wrench' and did install my plow and timbrens myself. Directions are pretty straight forward.

-J