1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honest Opinions on Salt Dogg Poly V-Box ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowGuy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Looking for honest opinions on poly v-box spreaders. Leaning towards the Salt Dogg. Heard lots of good things about them. I have had numerous SnowEx tailgate spreaders over the years and have decided to go bulk. SnowEx controllers are historically junk. However, I am looking for honest opinions on any and all poly v-box spreaders. THANKS !
  2. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Aside from the controller, I have had 0

issues with my Snow Ex V Box, it's been a true workhorse.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I love my Saltdogg SPHE2000.
  4. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

I've only put my tornado (1.5) through last winter so far but the winter we had around here it was a good enough trial period. The thing is awesome, i was one of the first people in my area to have the new gen. 2 last winter so everyone was asking me how it was. One of the best things about it is the lids on top keep all the material dry, even overnight in freezing rain and snowstorms. It has lots of power and lots of other good features. The controller even lets you know when the hoppers empty and i can take it out the truck and put in the truck myself. I recommended to everyone so im kinda waiting to see this year who in my area picks one up. Im buying another one, (2.5) this fall as soon as i get my new f-550 mason dump.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

We have snowex and salt dogg salters.

Pound for pound the snowex is a better unit, costs more but is a better unit. The draw back on the saltdoggs is their controllers and the crappy dust caps for their electrical plugs. I have gone thru a few controllers in the past two years but apparently they have new ones out now that are better than the old ones.
  6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Stick with Snow-Ex.wesport Thats all we run and (knock on wood) we have nothing but good things to say about them! Good luck.:nod:
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I sell both units and have used both the Veepro8000 and the saltdogg SHPE and IMO dollar for dollar the Saltdogg is the better product.

While the snow-ex's have Superior plug covers but they also use molded rubber plugs which are corrosion prone, ask anyone who ever owned a uni-mount Saltdogg uses easy to repair/maintain weathertech type connectors with useless caps. I solved the problem by simply purchasing some blank weathertech male ends as caps. Couple bucks for caps isn't much for 25/30% savings. Repair parts are as much as 50% cheaper and MUCH easier to swap and while snow-exs design may seal tighter it also traps salt, sand and moisture.

I have sold a lot of Saltdoggs and the users love them.
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I too am looking to see what everyone says because I might get a v-box saltdogg but trying to decided poly or stainless
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Have you considered the tornado? I bought the newest model and think its a great unit. There's also 3 different sizes for all 3/4 ton truck and up applications.