1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

honest opinion on boss v plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Oct 29, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i was just wondering what everyone thought of boss v plows.the new f250 v10 that is going to be the plow truck at the ford dealership i work at is equipped with one.it seems like it is too heavy,over engineered,and a somewhat complicated controller.we usually have an 8ft fisher minute mount 2 straight blade.any thoughts on these.
  2. Mac

Mac Member

When it comes to a plow over engineering is not a bad thing. IMO. Boss plows are very well built but everything has its limits. The wings and lift both are very quick. There are a couple of drawn backs. When back dragging without the smart lock cylinders the wings will go into the vee positions, however a couple of storms will get you used to that. And of course as you mention the weight.

However for a car dealership I would not plow with anything but a Vee or a box plow, just because space is money for dealerships, and the Boss V can move the snow any where you want.

Which controller do u have? We use the smart touch control its great and easy to use.
  3. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Fantastic, I have one with the smart-lock. Greatly increased efficiency.

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Having used a Boss V's for the first time last winter we are now only buying V plows. I would not use a straight blade again. Although they have their application and are useful I'm sure in certain situations, the versatility of the V over the straight can't be outmatched.

They are heavier plows, so you'll definetly need to install timbrens.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Boss 9'2"V 2 yrs old now.The controllers are much better than the Fisher/westerns IMO. I have the joystick,and its simple to use.The most difficult thing is finding a place to put it.The weight shouldnt be a problem for the F250,the boss is no heavier than the rest of the V's. My 2500 Dodge handles mine with no trouble at all.You know its there,but it doesnt seem to be to much for it.
  6. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

After, well, no debate I wenty with a Boss V. I have operated a Boss V for 3 years at my dealership (before I went on my own) and they are awesome! The main reason was all the positive feedback here on Plowsite even though the closest dealer is 45 minutes away. I opted for the handheld controller due to the size even though I was used to the joystick.
  7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

The Boss

I have used Boss V plows for twelve years, They have been Excellent. Very fast and strong, I have run them on half tons as well as 3/4 and one tons with very few problems on any of the trucks.
    That big Ford should toy with the plow.
    As far as production over a straight blade in a car lot the Boss will probably only triple the speed.
    I see your profile says you were plowing snow when you were 13 years old, Are you related to Meyer22288?
  8. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i was considering an 8ft western pro plus straight blade for my new truck-2004 f350 reg cab v10.not a good choice for mainly residential and light commercial?
  9. John DiMartino

the western is a great plow,BUT once you go with a V,or Im guessing the Blizzard as well,you wont go back to a straight blade again.You simply save to much time to go back,so if you have a good boss dealer,id say go for it,get the V plow.
  10. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

they work well for residential?
  11. John DiMartino

I love mine everywhere,I am guessing the blizzard is just as good if not better too.If you do a lot of backdragging get the smart lock cylinders.I dotn have them,but i dont really think i need them,i dont have a problem backdragging without them.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really depends on your situation whether they're worth the extra expense. I have considered getting a "V", but right now the places I plow I can just windrow everthing. There is no need to carry snow anywhere. So it's not worth it. If I start doing some condos, I might reconsider since in that situation, there would be a need to contain the snow while pushing. If you have drives where you need to push the snow to a particular area, it would be worth it. Like you can't windrow because of bushes or flowers beside the driveway.
  13. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Does the Boss have a trip edge like the Fisher?
    I love the trip edges on the Fisher 8.6 Power-V we have.
  14. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

landscaper3 i know boss has started offering a trip edge strait blade but dont think they offer one for a v yet.

from USA

Boss V-Plow is my choice!

On my second season with Boss 8' V-plow on my 03 F-250. The handheld controller is great once you get the hang of it.

Has anyone had any problems with theirs? I'm talking about 5 years old or less......

I have yet to pickup a repair kit..... Who carries what for spare parts... other then a free quart of Hyd. fluid you get?

Rich D.