1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda, Toro, or Simplicity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gravelyguy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

I tried searching, not a whole lot on Simplicity and most of the threads were old.

Who do you guys think makes the best built snowblower? I'm looking to buy a new one. It's hard to compare because the dealer stock is very limited.

I'm not considering Ariens because I don't have a local dealer.

Also, do you guys prefer tracks or tires? The tracks look cumbersome to me.

Please let me here some pros/cons.

2. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Also, I looking for two stage, probably 28" may go 32". The blower will be used pretty heavy assuming we get snow.
  3. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Ariens, but not the home cheapo models
  4. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

MY brother bought a Simplicity commercial pro last year and he really likes it, says it is very well built throws snow really good.
  5. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Have a Toro 826 power max Best machine ever. Just like Toro. Loads and unloads easy with ramps. Love the quick stick to move shoot around. Gobbles Lake Effect great around here. My 2 cents.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

TORO and Ariens would be my choices.
  7. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

I can't do Ariens because the closest dealer is like 40 miles from me aside from home cheapo.
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

TOGA TOGA TOGA :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:, I mean TORO TORO TORO!!!
  9. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Another vote for the Toro 826, it's very easy to operate for long periods of time.
  10. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

I got some prices today.

Toro 828- $1499
    Toro 1028-$1699
    Toro 1128 $1899

Honda HS1132TA-$3189:eek:

Do these sound right?

That is the only Honda available to my local dealer. He said the factory is sold out. He was servicing an older Honda while I was there and they are very heavy duty.

The joystick on the Toro seems pretty awesome if it holds up to commercial use, but most of the parts on the machine just look homeowner to me.
  11. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I had the large Honda with tracks and hated it so much we returned it. We've got a lot of Honda engines and mowers around, so I'm generally a fan, but I found the snowblower to be miserable.

I'm not familiar with the 1128, but I think the only difference between the 8 & 10 is the enhinge HP, which has never been a problem on our 8HP unit. The Toro joystick really makes things nicer when running for long periods of time. Ours is going into its 4th season of regular commercial use and has done well. The biggest con I know of is that the sleeve which disengages the wheel clutches to make turning eeasier is very hard to access to lubricate, and will seize if not lubricated.
  12. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for your input. The price of the Toro is making it look pretty good.

Sorry, I just realised that this is a pictures forum. Mods please move.
  13. HC plower

HC plower Member

I got a honda with tracks 8 or 9 hp, and it is definitely not made for fast commercial service, it is made for when snow is so deep it's up to your balls and a puny single stage blower is worth nothing. I have never gotten it stuck everywhere, it's just a different animal for a different purpose. The other thing with honda is they haven't changed their design in like 10 years compared to the models sold in Japan. http://world.honda.com/power/snow/ just my 2 cents:mechanic:
  14. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I have a older honda HS50 track machine, 5hp and easy to load in and out of the truck. Always starts on first pull
  15. Izzynormal

Izzynormal Junior Member

Local Honda dealer parts prices are outrageous. Definetely overpriced.
    Look on line to order parts you'll save a bundle if you live in the South
    Hills of Pittsburgh. I like to support local shops but this guy is charging
    about triple or more on small parts and accessories. SHOP on line.
    The money you save will be yours...
  16. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

100% snowblower service here....short small generally narrow driveways

Honda HS928 wheel drive will be my next blower. I have the track drive Honda HS1132 but it is too slow at max speed during transport compared to the wheel drive 928 I demoed. If I had to rely on even a Honda 2-stage blower entirely I'd get out of the snow biz pronto. Single stage Toros are much faster in ideal conditions. I'd also get out of the snow biz if I didn't have a bigger 2-stage on the truck just in case. There are times when it is needed and a single stage is a struggle fest.
  17. santaclause

santaclause Member

I would seriously look at the simplicity pro models nice machines and the channel frame style handles I dont think can be beat tough machine.....
  18. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

I just picked up a lightly used 2006 1338 Simplicity with all the bells and whistles, and its just a hell of a machine. I only paid 700 for it. Only bad thing is that if you are not running it yourself, the person you are paying needs to be moderately intelligent. (it has a cruise control feature that I think is easy to deal with, but my buddy couldnt figure it out)