1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda Ridgeline

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by jrm123180, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Anyone thinking baout putting a plow on the new Honda Ridgeline? I'm interested to see how it would plow...
  2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Honda Ridgeline????

Wonder who will be the first to make a mount for it???? Funny you never see frame mounts for Nissans or I'd have tried one for my Xterra...

If gas prices go up any more you're gonna see people putting plows on Honda Civic hybrids!!! :)
  3. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Are you serious? I think you're all wasting your time on this japanese imitation crap! I think that no one can make anything worth the effort to put a plow on, unless it's American. Even Chevy can't do great at making a tough enough truck. This Oriental crap is all imitation, and they're just trying to steal business from the boys who really work on. That truck is like a car with a bed.
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I wouldn't knock Japanese to hard. They've been able to outlast many of our US made vehicles. As for putting a plow on the Ridgeline, I don't know but from what I've seen it appears to be more of a luxury ride type truck, don't think it's real purpose is to be used as most pickups are. That's just my opinion based on looking at one, I haven't driven or rode in one so I could be off base there.

As for "oriental crap being imitation"...don't see where you're coming from. Don't think they are trying to imitate anyone, actually I think it may be the other way around since Ford, Chrysler & Chev have all had certain models made by Japanese makers. And as far as Chevy not making a tough enough truck...just glad I didn't open that can of worms as you may take a beating on that comment. IMO it don't matter what "brand" you drive, any one particular vehicle has it's own personality it seems, some may be trouble free, some may be nothing but trouble. Just a matter of personal preference and a little bit of luck IMO.

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If ford is so friggen tough why are the trannies cracking in two and the engines catching on fire? Better think before you go running your mouth. :nod: They don't call em super doodies for nothing.
  6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Honda Rigeline

Wait till Toyota brings out their 3/4 ton replacement for the Tundra... Finally this one is supposed to be a real 3/4 - 1 ton plow truck that can hold a real plow. If it's a anything as reliable and as well built as our Tacomas then it's gonna be bye-bye F250 for us...

Ford's already # 3 for a reason and GM is soon to be # 2. While American manufacturers are too busy worrying about how to make money, whether they made their double-digit revenue growth this quarter and how to get their executives rich, the Japs are busy engineering and building a quality product. Remember, we taught the Japanese everything they know about building cars and trucks and they made forward progress while our manufacturers slept. Disgusting!

Yeah, Ford products (and GM's) are good but Toyota (and Honda) products are GREAT. There's no excuse from GM, Ford or Chrysler for any of the crap that they build. Maybe when the they lose their market share of the truck market (the last big-money vehicles in their lineup), to the Japs they will wake up.

I guess it's a question for the Lawnsite side but does it say much for America that Lawn-Boy/Toro had to go to a HONDA 4-stroke as a replacement for the 2-stroke in their commercial mower line... No excuses necessary.

And yeah, I do love my Z28 - it IS America but I sure wish it had my Toyota's quality...
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Until the Japs make 1ton and up QUALITY DURABLE trucks Easily available in a semi american style (not looking like the fugly things on the Euro and Asian markets) they will not replace American trucks in this country. Toyota makes a good vehicle- I loved my old SR5 pickup, but I never would consider plowing one- frames were weaker than paper. Honda makes reliable stuff, but nothing heavy duty in the markets.

As to plowing with a car desguised as a truck- don't do it. Don't even contemplate it. It is increasingly diffacult to find any vehicle with a real frame and not unibody built. a unibody will NOT take the abuse of plowing unless you only (and I mean only) do your own drive AND you have a car/truck that you can live without. Someone on this board has a Pontiac 6000 with a homemade plow setup that works great for him. Try that on a New Corolla.

When the new 3/4 Ton Toyota come out there MAY be a market for it- lots of people that were Toy fans saw the Tundra as a great thing until it fell short on al it's promises of a heavy duty truck. If the new one does the same..... even if it does live up to it, many of us will not buy another Toyota truck simply because they don't believe it.

Personally I will never buy Japanese again. As far as trucks go it will be American- doing my part for the economy. (I know Toyota is built here- some of it and Dodge is owned by Daimler- I'd rather give my $$ to the germans than the Japs simply due to the unequal and unfair import/export tarifs in Japan on US made items.)
  8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Honda Rigeline

My comment about a plow on a Civic is just a joke!!! :)

I guess I'm just jaded after years of buying American cars and trucks and watching the quality get junkier. It's just nice to have trucks (and cars) that can go the warranty period (60 months for Toyota) without anything other than routine maintenance. None of my American trucks ever came close - NONE of them. No excuses necessary from the manufacturers or anyone else.

Lucky for the American manufacturers the Japs didn't get on the truck bandwagon 10 years ago. God help us if they finally do make one that can take a real plow. Maybe it will be their wakeup call to get serious about quality.

BTW Justme, I had a 96 2500HD Ram - I'd probably still have it if I would have got the Cummins instead of the 360... Can't deny that the fact that when we get something right (the Cummins) we REALLY get it right! And yep, it had it's share of nickel and dime problems (leaking axle seal in the made in USA D60 rear, leaking GM Saginaw Steering box, American made shifter boot ripped same week I took delivery). And what kinds of problems did Chrysler (and Ford) have with wear problems with heavy plows and diesels causing accelerated wear problems on the Dana 60 and D50 axle components??? They make enough trucks that there is NO excuse for the Americans to build junk PERIOD.
  9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Sorry guys I apologize for venting.... I just get fed up when I see more jobs disappearing and the trade deficit widening while people willingly pay more for vehicles made elsewhere cause of quality and design problems on our stuff here..

Back to the original discussion I looked at the Ridgeline front end and it's like most new vehicles. Seems to be lightly built (the old "crumple zones") in the front end for safety reasons. Doubtful that it would ever be plow capable...

Older CARS don't have the same design that's why that Pontiac 6000 here has a homemade plow... Ever look under a new car front bumper??? It's all styrofoam...
  10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did take a look under a Ridgeline recently. Looked like a unibody frame to me. I wouldn't dream of putting a plow on it. Probably would even stand up to off-roading it. It looked like a product for soccer moms.

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I did look at one it is unibody, no real front frame rails and it doesn't have a x case/low range - definitely soccer mom material...

Seems strange that Honda would come out with it since the Subaru flavor of a small suv/pickup just isn't selling cause it's so ugly.

Buuuuut - never can tell though doesn't snowbear make plows for just about anything. The Home Depot by me had some orange baby plow sitting out front this past winter. I could pick the whole thing up with one hand! - it looked like maybe THAT would fit! :)
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen one, looked under one just last week. I would NOT plow with it and I highly doubt any plow manufacturer will come out with a mount for it. If honda was looking to make a "tough" HD 1/2 ton that could be worked hard then they failed. I think its intended as a vehicle thats just supposed to look cool but it does not even do that. The ridgeline can not even be compared to vehicles like the Tacoma, Tundra, Frontier or even the Titan. The 4 I just mentioned have "real" 4X4 systems with real T-Cases. They are built like trucks and the Titan can even handle a 7'6" without a problem. The others do well with 7' Curtis', LD Fishers, Blizzard 720's, etc. The Ridgeline can not compare to any other foregin trucks. IMO, all the foregin trucks have been built OK when it comes to plowing until recently when honda came out with this ridgeline. So the Ridgeline is in a totally different class when compared to the other import trucks on the market. I have no problem with imports for the most part, however, I do prefer American trucks. American trucks are going the wrong way too, they have ruined the Dodges IMO, the Fords have Trannies blowing up left and right, if I had to buy a new truck now it would probley be a Chevy 2500HD as much as I like the Fords, I don't know if I could go with one with the way things have been going lately. :(
  13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with a 96 Toyota 4Runner. It works great and has proven to be very tough. I plowed 12" of snow on Dec. 23 with little effort. Any way....as far as jobs.....maybe if the american worker was willing to actually work for their pay and be productive, then the car companies would keep jobs here. How can a company argue with foreign workers who are willing to truely work instead of whine and actually earn less for it. I hate it that things are this way......but we as americans are lazy and think we "deserve" a paycheck....while many foreign work-ethics put Americans to shame.

If American's put as much time and effort into being productive as they do into complaining, and worrying about when they get their 15 minute break....things would be different.

I see it every third day......at the firehouse.....

Bring on the Toyota 3/4 ton..........

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Honda Rigeline

Unfortunately it's the engineering not the assembly that makes a truck junk. And remember, the Japanese executive doesn't make millions like his American counterpart does. So I'll cut labor some slack since everybody deserves a decent wage.

I stand on what I said earlier - Yeah, the rigeline is a car that looks like a truck and is for the soccer mom crowd. But if Toyota or Honda ever brings a real fullsize out our big 3 are really going to have their hands full. Especially if it gets some fuel (gas) mileage, something that our trucks are horrible at...

Anybody see 4 wheeler this month - the project Nissan Titan puked it's D44. Dana rears are as old as dirt NO reason from them to come from the factory with ANY kind of defect. Dana knows what the weaknesses are why don't they fix the engineering problems then.

I'd love to see Toyota clone their 8" pumpkin rears but make them bigger for their upcoming 3/4t. Do it right with a 9-inch style front bearing supported pinion. Now there'd be a truck that could handle any kind of plow you could hang on it.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  15. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Is there anywhere to find info on the Tundra 3/4 tons yet?

16. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

My buddy hasn't actually seen anything hard yet from his friend that owns a Toyo dealer... Only things I saw on the net are the same pictures that were in the mags a while ago...

I hear diesel and I hope some kind of manual trans and transfer case option. Knowing Toyota you'll see the trucks on the dealer's lot before you see anything else on the net...
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Not really the way it is, I'm afraid. The workers in other contries "willing" to work "harder" for less are the 3rd world countries and recently upgraded ones where there IS no work so working for $2.00/hour is GOOD money and if they don't work hard they will be replaced in a heartbeat by one of the thousands of other unemployed people.
    Americans work more hours per year then any other country in the world, take fewer vacations and sick days than other countries and have the least to show for it.
    The Japanese don't work Harder than us, they work SMARTER than us- something WE taught them and failed to continue doing. Dodge, remember, is owned and run by the Germans (Daimler), the Ram design as well as several other current vehicles are German influenced or Japanese based. The Stratus is a Mazda based car as is the new 300 series. Ford has had some influence from the UK with the aquisition of Jaguar and the buyout by Volvo (yes buyout, not merger. It was no more of a merger than the Daimler Chrysler, except that Ford kept it's own name)
    the geniouses of the auto design world have all retired and the new world economy brings Europeon and Asian styling where it never was (and arguably never should be). None of the companies mentioned above have any excuses of building an inferior product, but they do. Because it's not cost effective to correct a "non problem". They design the D44 for a given loading and as long as that is not exceded it will only fail x% through manufacturing defects, where x% is an acceptible figure. Correcting that failure rating gets more and more expensive the smaller the percentage is to the point where is it cheaper and easier to redesign a more robust model (D60) for use in a weaker application than it might have otherwise been used.

The cost savings of a design of .01 per vehicle (or 1 manufacturing step) saves tens of thousands of dollars over the lifespan of the vehicles made (10,000 vehicles saves 100 bucks, but over the life of a model for 10 years at 1 million vehicles it adds up.)

Anyway, if you want a truck you need to buy a truck. The changes imminent in the DCX models will be profound when they happen for Dodge models (which may even be dissapearing completely) Ford, as always, waits until something goes terribly wrong before correcting it and waits until the customers have throughilly tested something before changing the ratings- Expect the same. Henry's mentality for new designs has never left the company.
    Chevy follows the market best- people want x, Chevy modifys their line to better suit the X. (softer suspension for a more car like ride is a prime example)

Time's going to come when you need to buy a Mack to get a real truck that actually has a truck suspension and a work rated frame....
  18. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

justme, your last line sums it up regardless of who makes it! Well put!
  19. rawfish

rawfish Member

lol.......almost all of the imports are made by AMERICANS here in the US now anyways:salute:
  20. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

please do not talk about the honda ridgline on this plow site anymore ...its a car not a truck ...period!!