1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda or Toro Single Stage Snow Blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Nov 4, 2012.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm thinking of buying a single stage snow blower,either Honda or Toro(specific model),I'd like your recomendations please on which is best?Thanks.
  2. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I have always prefered the toro's. IMO they seem to be quicker and more powerful, and more ergonomically friendly. I've used the honda's plenty, and they are a good machine, but I just prefer toro...
    I own a range of the toros from the tiny one to the larger single stagers. all work well depending on what you are doing. The small powerlite is easy to toss in the back of the truck without killing yourself.
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Been looking at a Honda HS520 myself. My concern is when do they become ineffective/inefficient for commercial use. Snow fall/type of snow example heavy wet vs light and fluffy.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Toro in my opinion, they cut through snow banks & drifts well.

Lighter models are easier if you taking them in and out of your truck.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have all Honda HS520's myself, and I really like them so far. I plan on continuing to purchase them as needed.

I also have one Toro CCR (? I believe that was the name) left and I really was unimpressed. First of all the plastic chute.. Much more flimsy than Honda. Second it was a two stroke. More BS to deal with on the 2 stroke, when my other larger blowers are 4 stroke. The paddle did not "pull" the blower forward as much as it does with the Honda.
  6. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Ive heard nothing but stellar reviews on the HS520, and I'm having a really hard time finding one second hand, which shows that when people buy them, they tend not to let them go... HD has them for 549. Think Ill roll down there today and grab one.

How do they do in the heavier stuff? Say six inches of semi damp snow?
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Toro all the way. Get the quick chute. It's a no brainer.