1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda model or Yamaha Grizzly

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Sobie2, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sobie2

Sobie2 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I live in an isolated community where you can't drive to another town (Juneau, AK).

Our ATV dealers sell Yamaha or Honda atvs. I have a 1000' long driveway at up to 15% grade. I just had it lengthened and it was 400' which I used to take care of with a Honda snowblower (but it took a while). Let me put it this way it is always fun to move snow with either a plow truck or snow blower, if it is just your property, but when I am finished snowblowing my driveway I have had enough. Other people I know who have small regular sized driveways often want to do their neighbors.

To much info.... moving on to my question...

We get a lot of snow every year and we are coastal so the snow is heavy when it comes down sometimes I've got to snowblow 3-4 times a day. Our snow packs down as well and makes a super slick and hard base.

Can an ATV with chains (and I am thinking spiked chans) and a plow handle my driveway?

MORE importantly, is power steering needed? Is EFI much better for cold starting than a carb? Yamaha makes the only ATV with 4wd fully locking Differential. The models range from the Honda 420 Rancher or Foreman, to the Yamaha 550 or 700 Grizzly.

I love Honda equip but their lack of a true locking diff concerns me and my driveway.

Does anyone have any information they can help me with my decison on which atv to buy?

Any thoughts on the Moose brand plows? (I think the power up down with the asymetrical blade looks functional, but I'd like power articulation... unless it ain't necessary).

Lengthy email but I appreciate everyone's input.

Sobie2

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Ive got a 2000 Foreman 450s and it is unstopable.

3. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 Member
    from MO.

Watch out for the push button gear shifting honda's, they have problems. You won't need the power steering (though it would be nice). Both make a quality machine, just pick what you like best. The EFI is just better all around. A moose plow and an ATV will work fine for your driveway.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Will a locked diff. be hard to turn?

5. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

no need for a locking diff if you have your diff locked you can turn nicely

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I would go honda. only way to go. you go yamaha and you will regret it in the long run. But I would def go honda. But get one with selectable 4/wd

7. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 Member
    from MO.

I would pick the Yamaha over the Honda, but these are just opinions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I have a Yamaha Grizzly, I would recommend them. You can easily select 2wd to 4wd to 4wd locking diff by the push of a button. Also, the trans is easy to shift into reverse.

9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Another vote for Yamaha!! Here, I am too lazy to type it again.

I ride with A few Honda's and they are not built as tough as everybody thinks. Yes the engines are great, but there is more to an atv than a good powerplant.

10. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

What on earth makes you think that Yamaha is the only one with a locking front diff?

11. ddierking

ddierking Junior Member

My next purchase will be a yamaha grizzly.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Don't just say one sucks, give some reasoning.

This is like me saying Chevies suck. That's it. Nobody gives it any thought with a statement like this. :rolleyes:

While I don't have a Yamaha, I do have a Honda and it is very unlikely I would buy another. Getting the thing into reverse--especially with gloves--is a royal PITA. And supposedly they have fixed the electronic shift that I have in my '00 Rancher, I have had problems with it and even have had it freeze up while being transported. Overall it's a good machine, just not for work IMO.

13. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i myslef love honda atvs and i currently own a yamaha just b./c i got an outstanding deal on it. reverse is so much easier on the yamaha and i really havent had much probelms with the atv at all besides a bad cdi box and battery. its a toss up, yamaha makes a good product but honda has always been better in my book. but with locking diffs and a better reverse your going to be happier plowing with the yamaha. just my 2 cents.

14. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I suspect I plow as much snow as you do but the snow we get won't be as wet as yours so some of what I say may not apply.

Of the two machines you mention I would suggest the Yamaha due to belt drive which will run circles around a gear drive machine. It will also give you a faster reverse which helps a lot if you have to do much backing up while plowing. When plowing though use low range which relieves some of the strain on the belt and clutch. You also don't loose momentum shifting gears on a belt drive machine.

I have never used chains but keep in mind that too much traction can be a problem also. Damage to driveway and equipment could be a problem.

Also haven't used power steering but the older I get the more I am thinking of getting it on the next machine I buy.

The Moose plow is strong and should work fine but I would lean towards the Cycle Country due to the down pressure system which makes a lot of difference when plowing deep and/or wet snow. I have both a Warn plow and a CC plow. Both have held up fine but the Warn is an older plow and from what I am hearing the new ones don't hold up as well.

I have two machines I use to plow snow, a Kawasaki P360 and a Traxter 500. Up to 10" of snow I use the P360 for the speed, more than that I use the Traxter due to its extra weight and traction.

15. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

I had the 660 grizz. with a 60" moose plow. worked great, rarely used the diff.lock though.
    Hondas 680 rincon is auto with no belts to worry about,but has no locking diff if you were to need it.
    Imo. any of the atv's talked about will do the job, just plow with the storm and youll be fine.:salute:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  16. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd consider which ATV weighs the most and can carry the most. I have an 02' or 03' Polaris 700 twin, which was the heaviest ATV on the market at the time. I've carried 100 lbs. of calcium on the front and rear racks and still been pushed around by heavy snow.

17. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Ive owned em all and i strongly believe honda is engineered better.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get the Honda. If you buy a Yamaha you arer asking for troble. I've had 2 Yamahas both of them had tranmision and break problems.

19. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with a 02 Honda foreman 450S and it has alway's started and got me through.
    my thoughts on what some people have mention upstream on this thread.

the front Diff lock for plowing snow,
    you don't need it. your most often on equal footing for plowing and all the times I have been stuck or spining when plowing snow both of my front tires have both been turning trying to get more traction.
    now when I 'm out on the trail in a mud whole or in off camber spots I'll have 1 tire in the soup and 1 on good footing and I'm stuck then I wish I had it. but for plowing snow. I seem to due fine.

the Reverse on the Honda's
    due the the bypass of the little Red button and it makes it a whole lot better.
    I can now shift into reverse as fast as I can move my foot. I would'nt plow on a machine without this done now.

also a tire chains make a huge differeance. have to be careful on what surface your plowing on as they can leave marks if your plowing on a nice asphalt drive better stay off if you have chain's

sublime out.

20. pby98

pby98 Member

whats so bad about hondas reverse. all you do is push a red button down pull the brack and push or kick down. you can even put a cable tie around the revese mod underneath the back of the atv so you dont have to push the button. at least i know it is like this on my 06 and 05