1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Armsden&Son, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son Junior Member

Hey there Fellers,
    Been removing snow now for as long as I can remember, born and raised in the northeast.... Anyway, used to work for a landscaping outfit outside of Boston and we did a lot of residential driveways and a couple commercial lots. I now live in Upstate New York and am at the end of my first landscaping/lawn maintenance season. Gearing up for snow and I was doing some research on throwers and came across the Honda Hybrid... HOLY #$@%!!!!! This thing is an absolute beast! I mean, 8 grand for a snow thrower?! I almost fell off my seat! Anybody own or run one of these? Hear anything about them? I have to wonder about the tracks because I have done a lot of removal with Bobcats and the track machines don't even come close to having as much traction as the wheeled machines... I assumed it was the same thing with throwers? Also wondering what guys are using or happy with for 2 stage throwers? I have been looking hard at Ariens but wanted some feedback... Thanks guys and nice to meet yall!

2. Armsden&Son

Sorry, wanted to clarify..... This is my first year as a fully licensed and insured business owner... I will be pushing with a 2003 Ford F350 super duty dually with an 8 FT Western Pro.....

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Welcome to the looney bin. Grab a beer and have some pretzels...

Put that info in your signature, as it helps others answer questions about your ride, should the need arise...

The hybrid....

Pretty cool idea, although I don't see what it can do that my 8 HP 2 stage Toro can do....

What does it do that's so special ??? (an honest question, and not being sarcastic)

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

5. Armsden&Son

Honestly... That is what I am wondering... What the heck does it do that makes it 8 G's????? Thanks for the tip about the signature... And what about tracks? I mean, am I wrong here? I hated tracks when doing snow... but like I said, that was on a Bobcat....

6. Armsden&Son

That you tube video is hilarious!!! Is that a magnatrac?

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have watched several youtube videos about that machine. It is really cool. I have a couple of Honda track drive units. These tracks are completely different from Bobcat tracks. They suck, these don't. I have an ASV. Their tracks are great too.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Talked to my friend who is a dealer. He said you can get one for 7 grand since they have so many sitting in a warehouse.

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The videos of the thing I saw show a machine that can move snow like no Toro or Ariens ever made...It was eating the snow from a roof slide off like it was fresh fluffy. I mean, it was eating a 3-1/2 foot deep by 30 whatever inch width swath of clay like snow like nothing was there..
    Then there's the moving front auger basket/cage...pretty neat, just raise it up and drive right over curbs and rocks.

If I had a really large and really miserable patch that could not be done with a plow, say a roofline 200' long that sheds snow into an alley or something, I would try like heck to own one for sure.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

From the name of the thread I was thinking this was gonna be about putting a plow on a Honda Hybrid car/SUV... was rolling my eyes already... lol

11. Armsden&Son

HaHa! Thanks for all the replies guys!!! And yes sven1277 thanks for replying about the tracks... I mean, we are talking a serious amount of difference in weight between a Bobcat track loader and a snow thrower for sure.... That's why I asked... I have never run a thrower with tracks and I am interested.... And yes! I saw the youtube video as well of the roof slide... pretty nuts... but that is pretty much the only video you can get because of how new the things are I guess....

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Tracks *make* the snowblower.
    Hybrid though... that is just needlessly complicated, expensive, impossible to maintain.

Does nothing that a hydraulic drive blower can't do for half the price.
    Added complexity and maintenance burden of batteries and piles of electronics, electric motors that have no business being out in the snow and salt.

This is a toy for a homeowner with a big house, who is living off an inheritance and has more money than brains.

13. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

Honda HS1336

Sold several of these Hybrid blowers this year. Sold one to a company that takes care of stadium snow removal. The only reason they call it a Hybrid is because you can drive it without the engine running (battery power). Obviously you need to fire it up to run the auger. Its impressive for sure. We put it right by the front door of the dealership and it always attracts a crowd. If we get some of this elusive snow in the Baltimore area this year I will fire it up and take a video of it at work.

In terms of maneuverability it runs just like a walk behind. Squeeze the lever on each side to turn. Its effortless even with the tracks.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Seems like a weird machine, just more things to go wrong. What is meant to be the big advantage?

15. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

Advantages of the Honda

The big advantage for my customers has been the fact it clears 83 tons per hour and will discharge 63 feet away. Plus you can choose between Auto, Semi-Automatic, or Manual modes to give you just the right control and versatility.

Automatic mode: The digital systems monitor and auto-adjust the auger, fan, and track drive speeds to match the load. In Automatic mode, the auger auto lifts when the machine is placed in reverse. So all you have to do is steer and watch the show.

Semi-Automatic mode: While the travel speed is automatically adjusted to the load conditions, the operator has full control of the auger, fane, and engine power. Meaning, you can place the snow where you want it, when you want it. In this mode, the auger also auto-lifts when the snow blower is in reverse.

Manual mode: Experienced operators have full control over the snow blower for maximum speed and performance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  16. Armsden&Son

Wow!!! Now that is an informational post right there ^^^^^^^^ Thank you so much for the information... Can I ask you a question...? Do you see these coming down in price for next year or staying the same? Also, I figure since they are relatively new, there aren't a lot of used ones out there.... (I did see one on Montreal Craigslist though not much of a reduced price, it was still pretty new)

17. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

I do not see Honda changing the price any time soon.

18. Armsden&Son

How much do the top of the line non-hybrid 2 stage Honda track snow blowers go for at your shoppe?

19. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

You can see our pricing at www.hondaofcroftonpower.com Feel free to give me a call at the dealership and I can go over our commercial Discounts. (410) 923 4944

20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Track Snow blowers will keep going when wheels and chains get stuck. I have two - a old crappy one I rebuilt the drive on. After running this I got a new one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]