1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda HS928 Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMac, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JimMac

JimMac Junior Member
    from MA

Hi all; I just purchased a Honda HS928 Hydrostatic wheel model snow blower. I hear that the hydro drive is nice, but when I got it home I noticed there is no differential wheel lock/unlock option. This means the machine cannot spin freely to turn. This is going to in turn beat on the handles prematurely. When doing narrow sidewalks, it can be difficult to manuver / turn around even with a machine that does have the diff. lock/unlock. Did I make a mistake buying this unit? I spent 2 times the cost as a Ariens commercial unit, which has the free diff.axcle. Is it easy / or a big pain in the a** to use / turn around? I also notice the diameter of the chute opening is considerably smaller than othr machines...Thanks for your thoughts. JimMac
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

it's easy to turn around
    i never noticed an issue, never noticed the lack or presence of the lock/unlock.

I think they are always unlocked and it's never been a problem.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I own the tracked version of the machine you've got and there are no issues with turning around whatsoever.

Believe me, you will be very happy with the machine.
  4. Izzynormal

Izzynormal Junior Member

I just picked up a tracked model. Bought it sight unseen and think that
    was not a good idea. I love Honda equipment and vehicles, BUT...
    The HS928 is a bit short for Americans. I'm 6ft 1in. and have to stoop
    to the handles. Had I been able to actually try one on for size I would NOT
    have bought this unit. I'm sure my shoulders and back will pay the price.
    Advise anyone considering purchase of any machine be sure to try it on
    for fit.

Also the unit has no tie down brackets to secure it in a trailer or truck. DUH!
    Who would want to risk such an expensive peice of equipment (nearly $3K USD)
    without tie down in travel?
    Lack of hand warmers and a D.C. output for the light (it's an A.C. 12v. system and
    as such LED work lights cannot be used) are not in keeping with Honda's high
    Seems strange my Honda PS-250 Big Ruckus Scooter that has a 400watt charger
    system. Seems this 270c.c. unit should use the same alternator and rectifier.