1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Honda electric shift problem

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by BlueRam2500, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Was plowing over the weekend and quad got stuck in first gear. Was able to limp it home where I changed the battery out thinking the stocker had finally quit after 6 years. Still no dice. I get nothing from the shifter buttons at all and nothing on the dash. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm hoping its a sensor or something stupid like that.

2. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

my buddy has a Honda rancher es, Was plowing the park and got stuck in 1st gear, always carry a crescent wrench with you, theres a square peg on left side of motor, its a manual gear shift, i used it to get his into 2nd so he can limp home a little bit faster, try rocking your atv back and forth, then see if it changes gears, If so, Its a bad shift angle sensor. I hear Honda sells a tool that will slide onto that peg and make a foot pedal shifter... Never been able to find one, but ive heard about one... Good luck

3. BlueRam2500

Thanks J. I have the wrench under the seat was able to shift the bike into neutral. I'm going to try and take the angle sensor off, clean it and re install and see if that's the problem.

4. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

My buddys still using his, until his new sensor comes in, he just has to rock it back and forth every once in a while when it dont wanna shift. They say its a pretty common problem with hondas

5. 450foreman04

450foreman04 Junior Member

Hondaforeman.com is a great site. Tons of info on shift problems on there.

6. BlueRam2500

Thanks I'm on there already and have a thread going. Pretty sure it's the angle sensor, hoping to hear back from the shop soon as to what it is.

7. BlueRam2500

Got it back on Wednesday. The angle sensor was bad as well as a loose wire in the electronic control module underneath the top headlight. Everything ok now, plow back on and now I'm ready to make money.