1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homesteder

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rfed32, Nov 29, 2005.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

any problems with the homesteader in a big storm...say 10 drives and two small apt complex...needs omething that will last a good while

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well you need a plow not a homesteader they are made for your 1 driveway thats really about it.Not what you want to do with it

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You could probley manage, there is a guy that was on this site who was running one on his explorer and seems to be happy with its performance, see thread in the following link (scroll down a little its a few replies down).
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=12102

With that in mind, what kind of vehicle are we talking about? Most likely you can put another, better built, light duty plow on it. The Homesteaders are not built as well as other light duty plows of nearly the same weight such as the Blizzard 680 or 720 or even Fishers LD series that they seem to hate to sell for some reason. Id be reluctent to use a homesteader on apt complex lots and a few drives, they are not build like heavy duty plows. Id go for something that is "light duty" but built like a heavy duty plow like the Blizzards, Fisher LDs and even the Curtis 7'.

4. cja1987

Sorry Double Post

5. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Homesteader/Suburbanite Plows

There are many many people using these plows for all types and volumes of work. I have corresponded and actually spoke to at least a dozen or more people using these plows for more than one season and for more than their own drives and they all say they are fine. Most of the guys on here are commercial. They do know what they are doing (fact), but most if not all have not used one of these plows. They simply compare them to the bigger plows and based on that say they cant do the job. Fact is, in many cases theirs are heavier than they truly need. If you use common sense and dont hit anything head on, it will work fine. For that matter, if you hit something with most plows, damage will occur. Like any tool, apply common sense and use it properly and you too will have no problems.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it. :gunsfiring:

6. geereed

geereed Senior Member

I second that!!!!!

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I 100% disagree I had a 720lt on a jeep cherokee that i used as a floater truck last season.Well this years floater truck is a 05 quad cab with a 860 Blizzard totally a different class of plows.If you are doing 1 or 2 driveways and you go slow you could use a sheet of 3/4 marine plywood for christ sakes.But if your going site to site and time is a factor you need a medium duty plow at least.The plow is making you money why not spend the extra couple bucks and get one that fits the job your expecting it to do.

8. cja1987

I agree, its great for doing your driveway and the plow will generally hold up. My point is for the volume of work the guy mentioned, Id go with something that was a little more heavy duty in all departments (moldboard, trip springs, electric/hydraulic department.) This is not to detract from the value of the Homesteader or Suburbanite, they have their benefits. I think there are light duty plows ment for the same types of vehicles that the western and fisher are made for that are build much better and dont even weigh alot more.