1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by g-landscaping, Jan 10, 2008.

1. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

just wanted to hear some opinions on the fisher homesteader. im thinking about putting one on my explorer sport trac

2. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

seems like a good idea just from looking at the website. whats not to like? poly blade, fish stick control, lightweight, blade lock down feature for better scraping, removable frame brackets... of course the site is designed to sell the product efficiently, but it looks good. the only thing i noticed was "elastomer trip springs" im assuming that the trip springs are not steel? sounds iffy to me being that plastic, cold weather, and flexibility dont typically all get along with each other, but i dunno.

hey its made by fisher... whats not to like?

3. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Just put the 6' 8" homesteader on my truck. Went with the Fisher due to the name and the familiarity I have with 'em. The plow is quick as all heck, just gotta tap the fishstick and it sails left or right. The trip springs are "elastic" to the frame assembly, no blade trip design on these. The cutting edge is steel but there's no top frame rail for a snow deflector... only thing I didn't like. But planning in some warm weather to bolt up a piece of angle or square tube to mount a rubber deflector to the top.

I would check your front coils out though, I mounted the "timberens" but don't like the ride, gives it a funny feeling when you hit bumps since it rides on 'em. So, I ordered heavier front springs and struts capable of holding the extra weight and added bonus, level the factory rake outta the truck too.

I talked to a few different dealers and service guys who work on plows, they reassured me of the poly design.... they have some name for it, quick to point out that it's not a plastic. Hopefully it works out for me..... hope this helped!!! :nod:

4. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

matts27,
    Please post some photos of the plow on your truck.

Take a look at the photos in post #32 in this thread (added deflector):
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=27186&highlight=suburbanite&page=2
    The Homesteader and the Suburbanite are the same, so that type of add-on deflector should work for both.

5. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

post some pics after monday hopefully, getting a storm so they tell us. I was gonna mount the deflector to steel tube because I was worried about the structual integrity of the poly moldboard. But those other pics you found show it right through... hhhhhmmmmm something to think about. Still think I'm gonna give with my idea.

Also, I ordered heavier springs for the front, posted a thread in the import section but measured the truck and it sits about 1/4 to 1/2 off the timberens with the plow on. Thing rides rough already 'cause of the struts so hopefully I'll have some before and after shots, gonna take 5 days to get my new springs and struts.

6. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

here's them pics I said I would post, plow worked well, no complaints. Scraped good, at least I thought so. Hope this helps ya' out. :)

P1000328.JPG

P1000328.JPG

7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

One more I got too, little angle shot

P1000330.JPG

P1000330.JPG

8. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

so overall your pretty satisfied with its perfomance. no complaints

9. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Only complaints right now are with the truck itself. The plow seems decent, barely scratched the cutting edge still. Want to find some sort of cover or something for the hydralics on the frame, just to protect 'em from teh weather and such. Haven't really searched that out yet...

The plow is very quick, left right & up, down. Wish it had a home position for pushing straight ahead but I'll get used to it. Only ever used Fisher joysticks before. Was nervous about the poly moldboard cracking, chipping etc. but so far nothin' :D But time will tell with that.

For the money I'm happy, gonna keep it as long as I can, 'cause it's really for me, ain't plowing for cash. So, it hopefully lasts!!! Hope this helps. :waving:

10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

gotta get some action shots with that thing! looks like it hadn't snowed for quite a while in those pics :(

11. lattrell

lattrell Junior Member

Homesteader User for Three Seasons

I've been using a 6'8" Homesteader for three plowing seasons here in the Northern Berkshires, and it has far surpassed my expectations. It is mounted on a little 4 cylinder Tacoma and it has performed well in all kinds of conditions. I haven't even used chains.

One day my son was stuck about 8 miles away in 16 inches of new snow, the roads had not been plowed yet and I plowed all the way down, pulled him out, and he followed me home in the middle of the storm!

It is really easy to take on and off. I can maneuver it around easily by myself. It's not a commercdial plow, but it does the job.

12. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

does any one have any pictures of their homesteader??

13. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Scroll up the posts, left you 2 pics of my Tacoma with the 6' 8" Homesteader mounted up to the truck. purplebou

14. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

so u think the homesteader holds it own out there in the snow or what

15. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I'm considering a Homesteader for my wifes 2003 doublecab Tacoma. Does anyone know the clearing widths at full angle for both the 6'8" and the 7'4" Homesteader. My wifes truck has a small lift and wider rim and tire offset so from the outer edges of the tires, her truck is 74"s. Any input would be appreciated.

16. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

The Western Suburbanite plow is the same as the Fisher Homesteader. On the Suburbanite website it says that the plowing widths at full angle are these:
    70-inches (for the 6'8" version)
    80-inches (for the 7'4" version)

You can find those numbers here:
    http://www.suburbaniteplows.com/specifications.html

17. rdelio

rdelio Junior Member
    from maine

Homesteader is junk

I bought a homesteader this winter for my 1500 Silverado to plow my own driveway. Very flat and obstruction free. After three months of use, plow frame bent at the inside posts. They just crumpled. Brought it back to my Chevy dealer and they thought it was a failure of the frame but Fisher would not repair it or even consider that it was a poor design. They claimed that it had to be "user abuse". How do you abuse a plow by using it to push snow??? I have been plowing for 30+ years and last had a Snowway for ten years on my old Nissan and when I junked the truck, the plow was as good as new. I went with a Fisher since they are made right here in Rockland, Me. close to where I live.

Is this how Fisher backs up their warranty?? I am considering taking them to small claims court for selling this $3500 lemon as a usable plow. I would not recommend this plow to anyone.

18. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

I Have Used A Homesteader For 4 Years Now And Have Replaced That Frame Mount Almost Every Year Now, For Physicly Abusing It Plowing 70+ Driveways Each Snowfall. The Only Way To Break That Is To Abuse It. Useually Gravel Or Dirt Diveways will Do It. I Have Replaced The Motor, The Pump And The Rubber Bands And The Fisher Dealer Has Always Replaced Them Free, But Not The Frame Mount.

19. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i have a suburbanite.....two seasons so far and I love it. It's a great personal plow. I have been impressed with what it can handle. the only thing that bent on mine was the trip bar that the elastic bands attach to. it bent the first time the blade tripped and hasn't bent any more since so i left it. The only thing i would change is to raise the lights.

20. alafia

alafia Junior Member

I'm sitting here trapped in my house while the blizzard of Dec 08 rages here in Maine. My useless Fisher plow sits in the driveway, snow piling up around it. In the three years since I've had this Fisher Homesteader, I've had to retighten all the hydraulic fittings that came loose, the plastic ring connecting one of the rubber spring bands has broken, I had to replace the electric motor, and now the main weld holding the lift piston has broken away from the frame. I am utterly furious. When I buy a piece of equipment, I expect it to do the job I bought it to do. What I have been reading about Fisher and their responses to the problems other folks have had with their plows is not encouraging to me. I am going to call the company tomorrow, and start working my way up the ladder until I get some results. Fisher is either going refund the hard-earned my I paid for this piece of crap, or we're going to court. I have never been so fed up with a piece of hardware in all my life.

OK, so what other plow systems are available for my 2003 Tacoma? Anything but Fisher, please!
    I need recommendations for RELIABLE plow equipment only. I can't have **** that is gonna break on me every time I try to move some snow around.