1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homesteader vs snowway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bumblebee, Jan 24, 2009.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

im looking to put a plow on my 06 ranger.im thinking about the fisher homesteader/suberinite i also looked at snowway but almost $1200 more.i ges my ? is is the snow way worth the extra $ and is it stronger than the steder?iv read some threads on here about the steders and its a hit or mis some love it some hate it.im jest wana do a few drives like 10 to 20 but dont want to much weight on my truck or the plow to brake the first snow

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sno-Way is a better plow IMO
    But dealer support and service is very imporatant too.

3. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

Homesteader bad deal

i'm on 3RD motor and would never get a Homesteader again , ever ,!

4. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

i am getting a homesteader for my chevy trailblazer soon and i asked the same questions maybe you have read them and i was going to do less drives than you and all i got was crap from everybody. that plow cant handle 5 driveways so on so on. whatever i think its a good plow and i dont think fisher would build a 3200 dollar plow to do one drive per storm doesnt make sense i say buy it i am

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

having looked at them both today i think im going with the steader it looks like it should last a long time if you dont beat the crap out of it. i think the snoways frame is built stronger but the blade skin is to thin and looks like it would brake if you hit a chunk of ice to hard. all in all they both look like good plows but for my needs im going steader les weight and les $ jmo.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

i jest need to deside on the 6'8 or 7'4

7. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Look like you've already made your mind up, but if you have to do any backdragging, the SnoWay with down pressure is well worth the extra coin. Best of luck.

8. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

i can vow for that too .

the homesteder is a terrible backdragger , no weight for pressure , terrible !

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I'd do the 7'4, I think you'll like the extra few inches

Even if you put it on scrape lock? With it being so light, you would have to back drag just enough so you can put your truck between where you back dragged, and go turn around and back up, and push what you just dragged

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

ya i think im going to get the 7'4.i dont need to do alot of back draging so i think itll be fine

11. Captain

Captain Senior Member

i back drag half of my driveways with my 7' 4". The scrape lock only works on level driveways. That being said, it's not too bad.

If I have a driveway that is giving me trouble on the back drag, then I back drag it a couple of times to get it close, then I'll actually push forward to scrape the driveway, lift the blade, drive 2 feet forward and back drag the loose snow. Works fine for me. I had to do it this way with the snowbear.

My neighbor has her driveway plowed by someone else with a F350 and a 8-9 foot steel blade. I get my driveway backdragged cleaner than he does hers. You just have to have a technique.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  12. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

ya im sure itll take me a bit to get use to the littel plow.im use to plowing lots with big 8'footers and loaders first time with drives