1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader scrape lock

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowbill, Dec 31, 2009.

1. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

I purchased a Homesteader and I don't think the scrape lock feature works. The dealer says everything is working properly but I can't see any difference between lock and float. If I put the plow in scrape lock and lift the plow by hand it goes up just as if it was in float. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Doesn't sound right.. you can adjust the scrape lock presure relief valve (on top of the piston).. Should be a simple fix... Make sure it is not just air bound..up and down all the way a few times.. Hope that helps..

3. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

scrapelock

How far does it go up? The way I read you post it sounds like you can still collapse the cylinder and you should not be able to do that. Check your manual and adjust as suggested. I can still lift mine an inch or so off the ground due to play in the receiver but I cannot collapse the cylinder.

4. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Still having problems with the scrape lock on my homesteader. I have been doing some checks and there is no difference between scrape lock and float. By using a bar under the cutting edge I can lift the plow in either mode. The ram piston is collapsing not just play in the frame. anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

5. plowinginma

from MA

did you adjust the valve?

6. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Yes, set to 1200psi by dealer.

7. plowinginma

from MA

well if it is new then I would bring it back.. If it is loosing down pressure.. it could be a check valve.. or the piston is blowing by internally(most likley not the problem) one would think it would creep down as well if that were the problem.. but not always..not much weight there.. I would also assume no leaks.. not much else can cause that problem..

8. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Problem fixed! All parties had a misconception as to how scrape lock and float work. When in scrape lock the plow will stay at the level it starts at and the ram creates resistance so that the plow will not go up easily. In float the ram still creates the same resistance to upward movement, but the plow will fall to follow the ground. Thanks to all!

9. plowinginma

from MA

so the problem was??