1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Trailblazer02, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

hello im seriously thinking of getting the homesteader with my tax return this year!!! im looking to do only driveways and maybe small lots. i have a 2002 chevy trailblazer and i was wondering should i get the 6'8 or 7'4? also should i buy brand new or used? and hows the payment options with these things do you have to pay in full or do you have to finance or can you set up a payment plan with a deposit because i dont think ill have the 3000+ for it all at once!! and last but not least i want all of your opinions on the homesteader itself thank you very much for your help and hopefully ill be plowing by winters end!!!

2. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I've been very happy with mine on my Ford Explorer. I originally bought the 6' 8" but decided to trade up to a 7' 4"a month later before I ever even used it. I am very happy that I did.

The seals on my angle cylinders are dripping a bit, and Fisher is going to replace them, no questions asked.

I have done 5 storms so far, 17 driveways each storm. It's a nice little plow. You have to be careful with it as it's not a commercial plow. I'm sure if you went ramming into snow banks it would not hold up.

I'm not impressed with the scrape lock, even to the point that I don't even use it. I can back drag as good as a regular plow though as it powers down into the snow pretty quickly.

For $3200 it been a great plow so far. There are others that are better but they are about $1000 more.

2 more storms and I'll have already made what I paid for the plow.

3. Trailblazer02

the you captain

4. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Here's a picture of one on an 08 Trailblazer:

[​IMG]

And here's mine on a 2004 Ford Explorer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

They're good plows but you have to be careful. They are not meant for commercial use and the vehicles they are designed for are usually not meant for heavy plowing. Also, you may void your warranty by attachting a plow to your vehicle. If this is not a problem in your situation, I'm sure it will be dine as long as you realize the capabilities and limitations a vehicle and plow setup of this type has. Take it easy, go slow, and plow with the storm.

6. Trailblazer02

man those are great pictures captain thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Trailblazer02

hey captain how did you pay for yours and how long did installation take??

8. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I paid cash. I let the dealer do the installation. Total was $3300 installed for the 6' 8" then they charged me $120 to switch out and upgrade to the 7' 4" plow a month later.

I dropped my truck off at the dealer at 9am and they had it done at around 12:15, so it took them 3-1/4 hours.

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

See what you can get for a price on a snoway! They're really nice, and they have downpressure

10. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I was looking at Snoways also. Very nice plows. The closest Massachusetts dealer ws about 45-50 miles away. He was really good, quoted me $4200 installed. Just wish he was closer. There was another Snoway dealer closer in CT about 15 miles away. I thought of going to him but he was very arrogant, wanted $4500 installed and just seemed like he didn't need my business.

So - he didn't get it.

I had the same thing with the Homesteader, luckily there were two dealers within 10 miles. The one closest was a jerk, almost had to beg him to get a price on the plow. The guy I bought the plow from was great, has a great personality, is open whenever it's snowing, and has been very accomadating.

As I said earlier, I'm very happy with the Homesteader, and probably would have been blown away with the Snoway.

11. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I tried for 2 days to get a price from my dealer on a Sno-way and came back the same... 4500 plus 200-400 for the controller of my choice. The Fisher dealer was great, took care of everything no problem, plus he was right under 3100. He wanted my business, oh, the Meyer dealer and Hartford didn't even wanna deal with me either, oh well. Happy with the Fisher, haven't broken it yet the cutting edge still appears new. Works for what I use it for, good luck!