1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader Questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Captain, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. A little about myself. I've been plowing for the last 12 years with a Snowbear snowplow. Yes - 12 years with 15 driveway accounts. It started on a Geo Tracker then was moved to a Jeep Cherokee.

This year I purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer with only 17,000 miles (really - only 17K), and I just put a deposit on the Fisher Homesteader. Installation will be in October. I have a couple of questions.

How high des the plow lift off the ground for driving??? I may have read somewhere that it is only 8"

Also, when you are plowing and pushing into a snowbank, does the plow frame float up as chain plows do??? My Snowbear did. I wasn't sure and I won't be around a dealer again until my install date.

The Snowbear treated me very well for the last 12 years - I've put on one cutting edge and 2 motors, (they use a winch motor for lift), in 12 years. I paid a $1000 for it when I bought it and it looks like it will be sold this weekend for $250.

I'm hoping that I'll be equally, if not more happy with the Homesteader. I was looking at the Snoway 22 plow also but couldn't justify the extra $1200-$1300. Also, the closest Snoway dealer that I would have used was over 40 miles away.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 22 series and the Homesteader/suburbanite are two different class units. But if you were happy with a Snowbear the Homesteader should be acceptable.

3. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Thanks Basher,

I know the Snoway was a nicer system. If I had a dealer closer it probably would have been a done deal. There are 2 dealers in my area, one was 50 miles away and the other about 20 miles. The one that was 20 miles away was almost $400 more for the Snoway installed than the one that was 50 miles away. He wanted $4600 installed, and the one 50 miles away was $4200 installed.

The one that was 50 miles away was a nice guy and seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. The guy that ws 20 miles away was pretty rude, and got more rude when I asked if he could do any better on the price since he was $400 more installed.

I'm getting the Homesteader for $3200 installed which I felt was a fair price, but it was still a tough choice whether or not to pay the extra $1000.

Had the Snoway dealer been closer, I am almost positive I would have gone with the Snoway plow.

As you said - the Homesteader is going to be a big jump up for me from the Snowbear.

Thanks again for the reply.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Understand:nod: Isn't it a shame what a person's additude can do?