1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader Question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Captain, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have a Homesteader being installed on my Explorer this Saturday.

I have a quick question about the Homesteader. When you plow into a snow bank, on most plows the blade will float up the snow bank. Being that the Homesteader does not use a chain for lift, and actually has an inverted hydraulic cylinder, will the blade still float up higher than the 8" or 10" off the ground when the blade is fully up???

Also - anyone else have one mounted on an Explorer??? Did you do anything to the front suspension???

2. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

The blade will float up until the hydraulic cylinder is fully compressed. At that point the front end of your Explorer will start to lift.

Soon thereafter, you're stuck!!

'a friend of mine' had this happen!!

3. Captain

Captain Senior Member

That's what I was worried about. On a plow with a chain at least the blade will float higher allowing you to stack the snow a bit.

Problem is, I won't know how high the blade is going to sit on my Explorer until after the install.

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Your clearance will be pretty low but I have been able to stack pretty high. As long as you know not to drive physically into the snow bank then you'll be fine. Most of the time the snow falls over my plow but being light weight I have never had a problem backing out of the bank unlike a plow that weighs over 800#. Once those get buried, there buried!!

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Yup and a chain lift will go up and bury the plow frame and you'll be stuck then too.

FWIW the Snoway on my Jeep would stack higher than the Western on the Dakota, you just have to learn the nuances of stacking with the direct lift plows.

6. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Yes - I looked at the Snoway also - very nice plow. Wish I had a dealer closer to me.

I would imagine the Snoway would have the same problem with the stacking. As long as your not having a problem maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

For the record, I've have been using a Snowbear for the last 12 years, that frame would allow you to stack nicely. Never thought I would go 12 years on that plow. Plus, I was able to sell it recently for $250.

I was able to lift at least 12" with the Snowbear, plus the frame would lift a few more. Based on pictures I've seen, it looks like I'll maybe only get 8" or so with the Homesteader.

7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

You'll be able to stack, just gotta lift the plow. I don't ussually use the float option so the plow will stay down pretty well. But when you're at the pile I lift the plow, had no problem stacking well over my truck, got nervous about getting stuck but had no issues. I either had dumb luck or stacked okay, either way the plow stacked well for it's size and height, no worries!

8. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Forgot to answer, I got a 06 Tacoma and went and got heavier front springs, the low weight of the plow still buried the springs, tried the "Timberens" but found the truck was just riding around on them and didn't feel that was the right answer to my situation, hopefully you'll fare better than I, good luck and hope this helps. ussmileyflag

9. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Thanks Matt,

I always lift the blade as I stack. I was just a little worried about the cylinder being mounted upside down, and being limited in the amount the blade would rise.

I saw a picture earlier today of the Homesteader on a Trail Blazer, and it didn't look like there was alot of clearance with the blade up. I'm still looking for a picture of one mounted on a Explorer.

10. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

If you properly ballest the vehicle you don't need to touch the suspention.
    The blade will come up until the a-frame hits the headgear just as the plow wasraised.
    If you get stuck you are trying to do to much.

11. Captain

Captain Senior Member

That's funny. I've been plowing for 12 years and never used ballast, nor had I even heard of it. When I started looking for a plow this year, I started seeing ballast recommended. I read in the Fisher site that I should use 250lbs. The dealer hasn't mentioned it to me and I'm curious if he will on Saturday.

Still not sure what I'll be using for the 250lb ballast. Probably bricks.

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

ballast changes depending on the weight of the plow but it will not stop the front end from sagging or have anything to do with stacking. The ballast is to weigh down the back end so that your not front heavy and so the ABS works the way it's designed! I've looked at different truck/plow configurations and some call for close to 1000# of ballast which is insane!

13. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I can put 10 12 X 12 Patio blocks in the back and that would be 230lbs. I think that would be close enough. I have never used ballast before, but it can't hurt.

14. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

You will be surprised at what a change that ballest will do. aside from making the abs system work propperly it will ensure that the front axle isn't over loaded and it will bring the front up a little. and gives you better traction. take it from some one who puts ballest in every truck that goes out of the shop and weighs it to ensure it is within specs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  15. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

The recommendation for my Tacoma was 150 lbs ballast.

I carry 2- 60 pound bags of tube sand in the bed and make up for the rest with my waistline!!

16. Captain

Captain Senior Member

LOL - I could surely make up the ballast with my waist line. Unfortunately I think they want the ballast behind the back axle.

It's actually snowing out right now - just flurries. I don't need any accumulating snow until after Saturday when the plow is installed. I already sold my old plow.

I inquired about plow shoes and the dealer says they are plastic blocks or something???? I have to check them out Saturday. I always had shoes on my plow to stop from tearing up any grass.

Does anyone have the Homesteader with the shoes???

17. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

The shoes for the homsteader won't hold the plow up. they simply slow the wearing. check them out on fishers website the part # is 27710. if you search for them you will see the installation instructions which give you a picture of them.