1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by harryp, Sep 28, 2007.

1. harryp

harryp Junior Member
    from MA

Just installed a Fisher Homesteader plow on my 2004 Wrangler. I can very easily move the plow blade left or right by hand. This doesn't seem right to me. Anyone know if this hydraulic system just won't "lock" the blade from angling (hard to believe) or might this be air in the rams? Thanks.

2. 99 blazer

99 blazer Junior Member

No this is not normal. I would bleed all the lines from the bottom.

3. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

When I first bought mine, the plow would tilt as I drove down the road with the controller powered off. That is not the case now.
    I have had the unit lock up or refuse to move on a couple of occasions. A push in the opposite direction has always returned function.

Next week, the dealer is going to change fluid and setup of the plow.

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

sound like you have air in the lines. I have the suburbanite, same plow different color, and you cannot move it. get the front of the truck in the air on a bank or hang it over a bank and lower the plow as low as possible. then work the angle arms. this will bleed the air out.

5. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I had to do the exact same thing with my Homesteader. Due to the way it sits on the truck, the rams are hard to bleed. I had to drive up to a bank so I could lower the blade enough to get the rear part of the rams at the highest point. Swung the blade back and forth a few times and it was rock solid after that.