1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader Problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Alan323, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Alan323

Alan323 Junior Member

Hello everyone. First I'd like to say what a great site this is. Thanks to the host and sponsors for running this forum.

Next a little background. I'm an owner of a 2001 Chevy S10 Sonoma with a Homesteader rig. I've run it for the past 3 seasons and it has worked great. I can't say enough about the performance of "My Lil Plow". This is my first plow (It actually came with the truck when I bought it). So, I'm not very experienced when dealing with the problems that come with ownership.

I do have one nagging problem with it though. If I leave the electrical plugs attached for more than 1-2 days the plow draws down my battery so low that I have to jump it to get my truck started. Usually I just unplugi the connections at the end of the day and plug them back in, in the morning. It's a little inconvenient but it works fine.

I suspect it is my isolation module that is the culprit. I'm just not sure. What I'd like to know is if anyone has had a similar experience, and what they did about it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your red power wire coming out of the plow control harness under the dash is connected to a constant hot in the fuse panel, which will keep the system powered all the time. Which isn't correct and will drain the battery as you've found. You need to move it to a location that only has power when the ignition is in the run position and your issue should be resolved.
  3. Alan323

Alan323 Junior Member

Hmmm.. looks like I'll have to haul out some schematics.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

simple fix. follow the plow harness from the in cab controller plug. under the dash will be a red wire going to the fuse box. change the location to keyed power. 5 mins max.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Was thinking the exact same thing as the others while reading your post, very easy fix as they have described
  6. Alan323

Alan323 Junior Member

Again thanks guys I take a look tonight. And I'll let you know what I find.

I was able to run out to my truck and take a look at the fuse box. Who ever did the install did something weird.
    He took out a 25A Fuse (AMPF is the label), put a male spade connector on the wire and plugged it into that spot.Basically replacing the fuse for the wire. From what is see I need to remove that wire and splice that to one of to lines. Either one labeled RDO IGN (Radio Ignition?) or STR WHL RDO IGN (Steering Wheel Radio Ignition?) If some one could tell me which one to use I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Radio fuse is ok but not ideal.
  8. Alan323

Alan323 Junior Member

Well, I switched the power connection over to the Radio line at the fuse box and now the power works correctly. When I shut the truck off so does the power to the plow.
    Thanks for the help B&B.