1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

homesteader plows any good?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bumblebee, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

im looking to put a steader on my 06 ranger and i was wondering what your thouts were on the plow and will my ranger push it good?

2. C.Solan

C.Solan Junior Member

What you gonna be using it for?

3. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

homesteader

I have the suburbanite and love the plow. Alot of guys on here like the snoway so that may be an option for you as well. The snoway will cost around a grand more. Depends on what dealers you have near you.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

good plow for small projects and personal use. and its a good match for your truck

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Cost is more, but like you said sometimes dealer's change your opinion. I wanted to get a Homesteader/Suburbanite on my Blazer, but couldn't.

To the OP; I've heard nothing but good reports on them, as long as you don't beat the crap out of it and try to use it in a way it's not intended. It's a personal use plow, so it's obviously not going to be as strongly built as it's commercial-strength counterpart.

6. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

plow

If you go to truck equipment forum and look under ranger small rigs you will see mine.I have seen a lot of guys in mass have the homesteaderon or curtis homepro the snow away is a1000 more i bought a snowdogg 68 3100 installed.and it plows awesome if you.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

jest a few drives for now iv looked at snowways and in my mind not werth the xtra $1000. jest want some thing light that will get the job done and not kill my truck with to much weight

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

i have a snowway wester and fisher dealer all within 5min from me

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

dose any one know the totel weight of the snow way

10. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have 17 driveway accounts. Plowed 7-8 storms so far this year with the Homesteader. So that's about 128 driveways plowed and I think it works great. I'm very happy with it.

I think the Snowway with sub-frame is around 420lbs and the Homesteader is 280lbs.

11. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Snoway 22 is 275lbs for 6'8'', 284lbs for 7'6".

12. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Does that include the frame that mounts on the truck??? I was under the impression that is the plow itself and does not include the subframe.

When I was looking, the dealer told me it was around 420lbs total weight with frame for my Explorer.

The Homesteader is 280 including the truck frame.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you see the curtis personnal plow

14. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

picture

15. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my fears when I bought it was that it wouldn't stack well - as you can see from the poor quality cell phone picture, it does stack well. I have many 5'-6' snow banks. This picture was plowing 6".

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  16. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Nice looks like it works well .Plow on

17. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I should note the above photos are the 6' 8" plow that I originally purchased.

Before the first snow I decided to upgrade to the wider 7' 4" plow.

18. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

thanks for the info i think im gana get the steder.looks good on your explorer

19. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

im only doing like 10 to 20 drives so i think the steder will be fine if i dont beat on it.
    what would be better on my ranger the 6.8 or 7.4?

20. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

steader , bad motor , very bad ...

it just wont last a whole season , let alone 3-4-5 ? cant say bad enough times !! gl