1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader plow motor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Roy K, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Roy K

Roy K Junior Member

I have a Homesteader plow and have had the motor replaced 2 times already, the first time I was out of warranty and it cost me $300.00 plus, the second time it was still under warranty, I was told I could buy a new motor from MAXXMOTOR.COM for around $100.00. Can someone explain how to remove and replace these motors, your help will be greatly appreciated and I will then P/U a new motor and have it on hand for when I need it.Thanks again!
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Unless it's far different from every other pump there should be 2 bolts on the end of the motor, remove them and pull the motor off.

I would suggest making sure your grounds are in good shape and maybe upgrading to a larger gauge wiring for the motor since it seems to be a common problem.
  3. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

4th motor

i too have the Homestaederrrrrrrrr, but i will be wasting No time to purchase that maxxmotor ; if it happens again, is your steader running prperly now w/ the new maxx? ty and gl this season..
  4. Roy K

Roy K Junior Member

I have not purchaced the new back up yet but will get one soon, the Fisher replacement from last year is working for now but I need to know if anyone has ever replaced one of these motors and if so can you please send me some instructions. The last thing I want is to be trying to replace a new motor in the middle of a storm and not be sure as to what I'm doing.
  5. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

This is my fourth season with my suburbanite and I replaced my motor once last year. Like said earlier, Remove the two bolts and swap the motor out. I don't remember details but it was pretty straight forward.You will see that the shaft on the motor is notched and you have to match it up inside the pump manifold. Good luck!
  6. Roy K

Roy K Junior Member

Thanks again, I will let all know how it goes if I need to change it out. keeping my fingers crossed!
  7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I got the motor replacement about a week ago. The motor comes out with 2 long bolts back by the terminals to the pump face. Then pull the motor ooutta the pump shaft. Be careful because there is probably a shim and a washer on the motor face. I installed the new motor and had issues first with lining the pump and the motor up. Nedless to say, I cleaned the old Fisher motor and re-assembled that one, 20 minute job or so, and have kept the new maxx motor as a back-up. I believe I needed the front washer off the old fisher motor to shim the face off the pump assembly as the new motor locked up on me and I didn't wanna burn it up. Plus, the pump shaft is real tight to the maxx motor and the I eneded pulling the back of the motor out and had to re-assemble the brushes. That's why I threw the old fisher motor back on and kept the maxx as the spare. Sorry for the ramble, just trying to give you a heads up about the washer/shim. Oh, I put RTV around the motor case and left the weep hole on the bottom still open to help seal it a little better. Good luck and hope this helps! Matt