1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader hydraulic question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vtzdriver, Jan 30, 2007.

1. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Last weekend I was doing some cleanup in sub zero temps with everything working normally.
    As I entered on to the town road, I swung around to the existing bank, which buried the right side of the plow first.
    I was unable to raise or tilt the plow after that- it would only go in to and out of float. The hydraulic pump would labor but there was no action.

The weather warmed up some but still it would not work. Eventually I hooked a tow rope up to my Kubota and pulled the blade back toward the left. Checked again and the plow hydraulics worked perfectly!

I am trying to determine if the tilt cylinders went into some type of bypass or if a line might have frozen at a connection.

Anyone have a similar experience??

2. tcalb2

tcalb2 Junior Member

in regards to homesteader

Sorry I don't have the answer for that question. I saw a picture of your 06 tacoma with the homesteader plow. I recently bought a 06 tacoma 5 spd, 4 cyl. regular cab pick up.I priced out the homesteader plow and it came to around 3,100-3,400. installed. I have a landscaping company and I want to be able to plow my customers driveways. I was wondering how the homesteader worked for you. thank you
    Travis

3. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Other than my brief encounter with the hydraulics locking a couple of weeks ago, I am very pleased.
    btw, that event has not recurred.

The moldboard is not too tall, so you have to go slow or the splash of snow over the hood will quickly overwhelm your wipers.

I plow a quarter mile of access road and 3 driveways.

I did wind up changing the ignition power to the Fish Stick to a cig lighter plug.

4. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

UPDATE-
    the service manager at the dealership is certain I have some moisture in the hydraulic fluid that is crystallizing and collecting on the pickup in the tank.

Seems like it must have entered via the breather cap and I am wondering what the solution to that is- install a solid cap??

Until I can unhook all the hoses and completely drain the system- a Spring chore, I am considering using a 120 V, 200 W magnetic base heater to warm the tank before I head out. Any reason not to??

The srv mgr also suggested that he had success adding a teaspoon of drygas to the tank, but warned that some would disagree with that. Anyone try this tactic??

5. Clint

Clint Member

Can you elaborate on how to change the ignition power to a cig light plug?

Thanks,
    Clint

6. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

There was a red power lead running through the firewall to the fuse box and a small copper shunt installed beside an existing fuse, which the wire was attached to.

All I did was pull the wire from the fusebox, and back through the firewall (it's part of the connection the Fish Stik plugs into).
    Inside, I extended it and added a cig plug, which I run from one of the two available plugs in front of the console.