1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Homesteader Back dragging

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Trailblazer02, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

for all who have the homesteader truthfully how is the back drag. does it suck or is it ok and great is it even worth back dragging. since im getting a homesteader i owuld like to know.

ps. if you have any pics of a back drag with the homesteader please post them

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess no becuase its light. But I bet it would be easier than shoveling it all.

3. Captain

Captain Senior Member

It back drags just OK. The scrape lock feature is good if you have a level driveway with no incline.

I do 17 driveways and backdrag probably half of them. It's all in your technique. Most of the times I have to do 2-3 back drags.

If I am not down to pavement after 2-3, then I actually drop the blade and push forward towards the garage. This scrapes right down to the pavement. Then I lift the blade, drive 2 feet forward, and back drag again and it's down to the tar.

My neighbor has hers back dragged by a F350 with a 8-9 foot steel blade and I get mine scraped closer with the Homesteader than he does on hers.

4. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

well u also have to remember hes probally just making 1 or 2 passes then hes dones off to the next one i know i aint to worried about getting down to the pavement i come up to the door drop the blade back up and if its close then im done but also do mostly condo developments so when it comes to that we arent that picky salt will handle the rest

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. Captain

Captain Senior Member

The point that I was trying to make was that with a little effort, the Homesteader will be fine.

When doing driveways, I always try to get to tar, even if it takes a couple of extra minutes.

6. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

oh ok sorry bout that captain

7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Back-drags okay, scrapes well pushing. My neighbor has a new 7'6" BOSS and that backdrags really nice but is about 700 lbs I think. I pull maybe 2 truck lenghts and that about max's it out on an average 6" snowfall, but my drive is mostly a sunken mess of asphalt, not flat at all. Just gotta remember to take it outta float mode and it does pretty good.

8. mustash29

mustash29 Junior Member
    from SE CT

I upgraded from a shovel to a 8 hp 26" MTD blower, then added a 21 hp Craftsman lawn tractor for my own driveway. Now I have an 03 Blazer ZR2 w/ 7.4 Homesteader.

First winter with the plow and I am doing myself and 2 relatives. It works ok like others said. I think it would be better with a dedicated back drag edge of some sort. Pushing foreward to scrape and then pulling the pile back does work but it's a pain in tight areas.

My drive is a 12% upgrade from the garrage up to the street, so icing will screw me bad. Pre-treating w/ salt before the storm really makes the cleanup easier, especially with the slop we get here in SE CT. The little leftovers will quickly dry up the frist time the sun hits it with the salt underneath.

9. mustash29

mustash29 Junior Member
    from SE CT

10. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Ok here's a couple of pictures from todays storm. Please pardon the quality they are cell phone pictures

4" of snow then we mixed in some sleet and freezing rain. It is one of the worst types of snow to back drag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it does fine - you just have to develope a good technique.

11. Trailblazer02

Trailblazer02 Junior Member

ya thats awesome great pictures captain!!

12. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

Wow that's great! I'm gonna try the way you do it. I was gonna try adding weights to it or put a back drag blade on it or even try a heavier plow. Besides the back drag i love the plow! I do around 50 driveways with it. It's made me some good $$$$$$!